Sunday, August 5, 2012

Random Ramblings

Here are a few random thoughts for a beautiful Sunday morning...

  • Marilyn and Will have returned home after 11 days in NC, and I am so glad to have them back.  They had a great visit with her family and a good tour of the UNC-W film school.  They returned with great stories.  Stay tuned for Will's production of the next great primetime soap opera, ELKIN!  Like Dallas, only much, much smaller...
  • It's Sunday, and Chick-fil-A is closed.  Seems like the perfect day to close out this week's crazed arguments as well.  I have stayed away from this very public discussion, but I will offer this one reminder to everyone who used valuable time and resources fighting this battle- "It's all about chicken JESUS!"
  • I have become a total Olympic zombie.  I cannot remember what I did for entertainment before they started, and I have no idea what I will do when they are done. 
  • I did venture away from the TV to see The Dark Knight Rises this weekend. I have always thought The Dark Knight was overrated, but I have to say the third chapter in the trilogy totally rocks, just like my son said it did.  I give it a 15.327, and it's in the green area of scoring. And thanks to my smart phone I could still get beach volleyball results as soon as it was over. Win/Win! 
  • The Fab 5 were wonderful, but if you are wagering on which group of USAmerican women had the best games and have the brightest future, look to the swimming pool. Total dominance!  
  • The USA men's basketball team won by only 5 points yesterday. According to the new scoring system I introduced this past week (see 7 Things I'd Change About the Olympics) they now have one loss.
  • Will starts drumline camp tomorrow, so his summer is pretty much officially over.  I will miss him being home. I will also miss our frequent trips to the Hibachi Buffet.
  • My first summer as a camper at Quaker Lake Camp (after 8th grade) there was a mini-Olympic style competition that took place all week.  I can proudly say that I went undefeated and won the blue ribbon (which I still have!) in singles badminton, beating Susan Bass in the finals. Which was not easy because she was really cute.  Needless to say, I was disgusted by the Olympians who cheated at the great sport of badminton by playing to lose. Perhaps I should plan a comeback.  
  • I never thought I would see anyone in my lifetime with the combination of God-given talent, work ethic and competitive fire to equal Michael Jordan.  Michael Phelps, thank you for proving me wrong.  22 medals. 18 gold.  Still the king of the pool. Simply amazing.
  • And finally...  When I was young, I played every sport I could, and was reasonably good at most of them.  But I always wanted to be great at baseball.  I could play every position and hit the fastball okay.  But I never learned to hit the curveball.  This weekend I have been reminded on several occasions that life is constantly throwing curves, and that they still befuddle me.  I was reminded once again of a truth I learned in 1977-78 as a freshman at Lenoir Rhyne College.  One of my friends always greeted life's curves the following expression: "That's life in the big city.  Sometimes you chase the armadillo. Sometimes the armadillo chases you..."  Think about it.
I hope you all have a blessed Sunday.  I'm looking forward to church with my family and lunch at Moe's.  I hear they serve a mean Christian burrito...


Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. The last one reminds me of a saying around here. "Some days you're the bug. Some days the windshield." And Moe's sounds so good right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley8/06/2012

    I'll come down to the Hibachi buffet anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!