Thursday, August 2, 2012

Whatever Happened To Comment Day?

Today is the birthday of a very special person in my life, Denise May Langley.  Denise and I met in college and remained dear friends for a long time.  We lost each other for a while, but now text each other regularly. I am so happy to have her back in my life.  Denise was responsible for me meeting my wife.  I was partly responsible for getting her involved as a cook at Quaker Lake Camp.  We shared many adventures involving late night runs for Krispy Kreme doughnuts, great beach trips, little yellow things and a great group of friends who still care a great deal about one another all these years later.  She helped chaperon our first trip from Springfield Friends Meeting to Orlando.  The more we talk these days, the more I miss her.  Denise does not do Facebook or Twitter, but she does read this blog.  So leave her a happy birthday wish in the comment section, and she will see it.  Happy Birthday, Denise!  I hope you have a wonderful day!!!


And speaking of comments...  Many of you may remember that back in April 0f 2011 I started an event for the blogosphere called Comment Day.  The idea was not brain surgery. It was simply a day set aside to read as may blog posts as I could, with the intent of leaving a comment on each one I read.  People seemed to like the idea, and slowly but surely the concept spread across Twitter.  We even gave it an official date- the first Thursday of each month.  And for several months, Comment Day thrived.  But then, as with many ideas, people began to lose interest.  And in May of 2012 I saw no evidence that anyone else was participating.  So I decided to take the summer off. We skipped June, July, as as of today, August.  You see, today would be Comment Day.  


I have also noticed a general reduction in comments left on this blog as of late.  I have more visitors and page hits than ever, including over 500 guests stopping by my Olympic post of two days ago- but fewer and fewer and comments.  I do not know if my writing is less inspiring these days, or if people just grow weary of the whole comment thing.  In any case, Comment Day will return the first Thursday in September, as I resume my efforts to encourage bloggers everywhere.  Bloggers love to hear response to their thoughts and words. I hope you will join me and encourage those who share.


Because of Jesus,

6 comments:

  1. I almost always read. Life here is just busy between moving the kiddo to a private school 30 minutes away, me being back in school online, and dealing with the failing health of my mother & my mother-in-law not to mention all the normal aspects of life. So please know I am reading even if I am not able to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy you are one of the most encouraging people I know. I know you read and I know you care. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I remembered a couple times this summer, but it was like the middle of the month. I have been trying to comment more in general. As I think of something nice or interesting, I comment that. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Andrea. I am trying to be more intentional myself. And I do appreciate so much that you take time to read my ramblings!

      Delete
  3. Oooo, I suck at comment day! But I do try with comments.... okay I suck at that too. gonna try and step it up a notch :) cause, hey, I love comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Comment Day! I'm still here and going strong. I might only get to a couple of blogs a day these days, but I am intentional about leaving a meaningful comment on each one. I know how much they mean to me, so I try my best to leave something every where I go. :)

    Keep up the inspiration! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!