Sunday, August 12, 2012

Being Great


I watched in awe last night as the Jamaican 4 x100 meter relay team smashed their own world record.  Here were 4 men, gifted by God, trained by coaches and supported by friends and family, who went out on the track in front of millions of people watching and achieved greatness.  They weren't just good, they were spectacular.  Good would not have been enough.  They came to London for greatness.

It got me thinking about how often how I have settled for "good" in my life.  I am not talking about accomplishing things that draw attention to me, I am referring to things that inspire others.  I look at so many people who have had great accomplishments and marvel at their faith and determination to do great things. I am 52 years old and I often wonder what chances I have already missed to serve God in some bigger, more productive way.  It is a sobering thought, for example, to realize that by the time Mozart was my age he had been dead for 18 years. He left a mark on the world as a young man that has inspired generations of musicians.  What mark am I leaving and who have I inspired?  I have been blessed to live an interesting and productive life full of wonderful relationships and moments of service, but how many opportunities have I missed to do something great in the name of Jesus?  There have always been excuses, "what ifs" and "if onlys" that have kept me from achieving everything God has had in store for me.  And I want that to stop.

All of us have been gifted by God, trained by leaders and supported by family and friends. What will we do with our gifts?  We will seek glory for ourselves or glory for God?  Will we settle for "just getting by" or will we seek to do great things in the name of Jesus?  The decision is up to each of us.

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!