Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Beginning of the End

Will and one of his favorite foods- a Fazoli's breadstick!
Today my son Will goes back to school...for the last time.  He is a senior, a fact which is really just starting to sink in to my thick skull.  I know it is totally cliche, but it seems like just yesterday I was carrying a 2 month old to my office every day at the First United Methodist Church of Kissimmee while we were waiting for a spot to open in the church's child care center.  He would sleep, cry and eat in my office, or in the offices of other church employees who often kept him when I had meetings or events.  Right from the beginning, he was my boy.  But even in those days I was one of weird and rare parents who couldn't wait until the day he was a teenager.  I knew our connection would be unique at that point. And I was right.

So yesterday we shared lunch at the Hibachi Buffet.  We talked about our favorite topics, music and movies.  We cane home and watched Monty Python & the Holy Grail one more time.  I fixed Mexican Pile-Up for supper at his request.  It was a great day.

Today is a great day too.  Will begins his final year with much hope and anticipation.  He is excited for most of his classes and for his final year on the marching band drumline, where he is now a featured player as the center snare.  He has a great group of friends that will make the year something to remember.  Through all of the ups and downs of his young life, Will has always been loving to his mother and I and faithful to his God.  I am so proud of him, and excited to see what this year has to offer.  But still, when I drive him to school this morning there will be one thought in the back of my mind that I just cannot shake.  After 12 years of school, this is the beginning of the end.  I am just so thankful that I am part of a family that knows to enjoy the ride and remember that God holds the future.  Now let's get on with a wonderful year!

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!