Sunday, January 8, 2012

Souvenirs

Every now and then all of the reminiscing I do as I write this blog slaps me and reminds me of why I am writing a blog instead of still doing ministry in a church.  I am reminded of my own past sins and failures.  I look at pictures, books, my guitar and other reminders of days gone by- and I am saddened.  I share life with friends in far away places by computer and text that I cannot go visit in real life due to my travel restrictions.  And some days, it just hurts.  I try to spend those days in prayer and focusing on the amazing grace that rescued me and brought me to this place. But sometimes the past is a ghost that cannot be so easily swept away.  Those are very hard days- and yesterday was one of them. Then last night I got a surprise text from a very old friend (thanks Denise!) that helped remind me how incredibly blessed my life has been and how fortunate I am to am to have shared life with so many wonderful people.  And now it's Sunday, a day to focus on praising the LORD and being thankful.  I will leave you with some lyrics from the late Dan Fogelberg's 1974 song Souvenirs.  The song is actually about surviving memories of lost love.  For me, student ministry is just that- a lost love.  And as wonderful as my 28 years of memories are, the loss still hurts. But God is still in His heaven and Jesus is still LORD, and days like yesterday do pass.   Have a blessed day, and never take anything or anyone for granted...especially the people you love, and a God that loves you.
And down in the canyon
The smoke starts to rise.
It rides on the wind
Till it reaches your eyes.
When faced with the past
The strongest man cries...cries.

And here is a sunrise
To set on your sill.
The ghosts of the dawn
Moving near.
They pass through your sorrow
And leave you quite still...
Sitting among souvenirs.

Because of Jesus,

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/08/2012

    Blessings to you my friend. ~Chris Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and Hugs!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/08/2012

    I am thankful for our friendship :D
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support my friends. I feel the love!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!