Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Magic of Music

Yesterday was a very long day.  Not a bad day.  Just long.  My dog alarm went off at 3:37 AM (I got a whole extra hour this morning.  Woo).  As I got into my prayer list yesterday morning I realized just how long and intense my prayer time needed to be.  So many needs and requests.  So many hurting friends.  It is such an honor to bring prayers to God, but emotionally it can be quite taxing.  I later took some time to engage in a theological debate about yesterday's post (which was expected) and to write a guest post for a fellow blogger.  After a great Taco Tuesday dinner, I settled in to my recliner, watched some reruns of The Big Bang Theory, texted with a friend and realized I was really tired and needed to wind down.  And so I turned to one of my oldest friends...music.  Since the time I was 10, music has been the one thing that can always speak to my soul.  It has comforted me through pain and lost love.  It has restored my faith when I had doubts.  It lifts my spirits when I am down.  And it never fails to offer comfort at the end of a long day.


I set my I-Pod to shuffle and sat back to drift away.  If my music was played on satellite radio, there would be 2 basic stations- classic contemporary Christian music and  60/70/80's pop and rock (no disco allowed!).  And then a little bit current stuff that my 16 year old son has introduced me to.  So last night, as I laid back and let the music take me away, here were the first 10 songs I heard:
  1. Just Remember I Love You-  Firefall
  2. Everything I Hate- Smalltown Poets
  3. Candyapple Red- The Robbin Thompson Band
  4. Run To Me- Bee Gees (way before disco!)
  5. Life Together- Geoff Moore & the Distance
  6. Hard Habit To Break-  Chicago
  7. Carolina In My Mind- James Taylor
  8. There Goes Another Love Song-  The Outlaws
  9. Once Upon A Time-  Dan Fogelberg
  10. Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me-  Elton John
And then, as if on cue, the 11th and final song I heard was one that always takes me back to my teenage years and makes my feet tap and my heart beat just a little bit faster.  Amie, the great song from the band Pure Prairie League, wrapped up my night with it's haunting "falling in and out of love with you..." finish.  My soul was both calmed and excited, and I was ready to call it a night.


Today I ask you this question in the hopes of discovering more about you, my readers.  What songs do you count amongst your favorites?  Which songs help bring peace to your soul?  I'd love to hear from you.  In the meantime, here is a little something you may not know about me.  I am a HUGE Beach Boys fan- and not just the stuff everyone loves.  At one point I owned nearly all of their albums.  And today feels like a Beach Boys day.  So take take their advice and Add Some Music To Your Day.  Blessings to you all for a wonderful Hump Day!  Wouldn't It Be Nice? if we could all get together for lunch?  :)


Because of Jesus,

6 comments:

  1. I can't say that I have a favorite song or even list of songs. Jewel makes me emotional, which is a good thing at times. TobyMac gets me excited. The Rat Pack and 60's R&B help me work better. Musicals make me feel like I can conquer the world. Disciple and other Christian hard rock helps me tune out the world and get back to normal.

    That's all I can think of right now. I haven't actually sat down and thought about what certain music makes me feel. Thanks for getting me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself regularly grooving on Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" and can't ever be in a bad mood listening to Journey ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/11/2012

    Leaving 99 will always be my favorite.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Winds of Change... Won't last forever."
    Surprising how often I come back to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A really great song and some great memories, Steve. Thanks for stopping by, my friend.

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!