Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Compliment or Insult?

I spend a great deal of my life these days with words.  Between writing this blog, writing countless emails and texts and speaking with people, I am constantly trying to craft words so that they will convey what I mean.  I, like many others, do not always succeed. Sometimes my words fail to make my meaning clear. Over the past several days I have heard or read a number of statements that left me wondering- had I just heard a compliment, or an insult?  I would love to know your thoughts on these.  Italics indicate that the word was emphasized when spoken.  So how would you take if someone said to you...

  • Wow.  I have never seen anyone do it that way before.
  • Do you understand what he is saying?  Because you'd have to be smart to understand all of that...
  • You're amazing.  You'd make a perfect boyfriend for a nun!
  • No, it's ok.  I have seen you do it once before.  I don't need to see it again.
  • That pie has a most unusual flavor. Did you make it?
  • She's prettier than a sunset over Newark.
  • I have met a lot of people, and there is no one else quite like him! He is so special!
As a people, we are so often quick to offer criticism and insults and very slow to encourage and compliment.  Choose encouragement.  Don't leave people wondering what you meant- use the language of love.  Help makes someones day.  A special thanks to the people who do that for me every single day.  Life is much better because of you.


Because of Jesus,

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1/26/2012

    and you do for us as well!!!! thank you carl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!