Monday, August 1, 2011

Unexpected Joy

Many of you know that I wake up most every morning excited (and sometimes obnoxiously perky!) to face the new day.  There are just so many things to be happy about!  But some days are even better than others. Yesterday was one of those days.  It really shouldn't have been.  My family is still travelling, and that can be a bummer.  In a conversation on Twitter Saturday night, my dear friend Stacey (@NomadStacey) was reminding me that when things get tough, I can always turn to the wisdom of Kermit the Frog for help.  We were mostly joking, but turns out that the wisdom of Stacey was dead on- Kermit helped make my day.  So yesterday, my dog let me sleep until 6:30 AM.  That's late for him, and a great start to any day!  After a nice walk with him, I returned to post my blog, and as I proof read it one final time I realized that what I had written was not what God wanted me to share.  I just "knew" that I was supposed to share John Fisher's Bleeping Jesus.  Never mind that I had done it before- I was supposed to do it again.  So I did.  I then sat down to a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  How can you not smile when you're eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch?  Next came my morning prayer time, where I was reminded of the incredible blessing of the love of my family and friends.  I lifted prayers for friends who are travelling, student ministries on mission trips and my dear friend Ashley who was heading out to Haiti.  And finally, I prayed for myself- that God would continue to use me in whatever ways He sees fit.  I just want so serve Him in Jesus' name.  With my prayers done, I took a shower and headed off to church- the first time I have gone without my wife since our lives turned upside down over 4 years ago.  After getting my praise on, I came home, walked the dog again, and then headed out to see Captain America, having been given permission by my son the night before- he had finally seen it!  The movie absolutely ROCKED!  I came home, made a sandwich and jumped on the computer and responded to a few friends, and then...I clicked on a Twitpic from one of my Disney friends and found a surprise.  You think you know what things in life will bring the biggest smiles to your face, but the truth is, you can always be surprised.  And THIS...this made me smile big-time!






The Muppets are coming back to the big screen in November. I already knew it, but this poster just reminded me that it's real, and it's coming.  There is indeed joy in the journey.  Almost nothing makes me smile more that Kermit- and my friend Stacey called it ahead of time!  As the afternoon went along I worked in a nap, one more dinner with my dear friend Lisa Jewett before she leaves town, some TV and some ice cream.  Later on in the evening it was my privilege to e-mail with and pray for a special friend who is dealing with some very stressful circumstances right now.  By any standard it was a great day.  Throw in The Muppets, and it became an extraordinary day!  Joy is like that.  Life with Jesus is like that too.  It surprises and overwhelms you- if you are open to it.  Count your blessings today.  Live with unexpected joy!


Because of Jesus,

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/01/2011

    I love all your JOY!! So refreshing! I too am like this - I'm happy for no reason at all and have a smile and laugh all day long - I'm sure I've been called "perky" too - but I wouldn't have it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't WAIT for the new Muppets movie! If you like the poster, then thou shalt look up the preview on YouTube. There are at least three of them out there, and they are guaranteed to bring a smile to your face, especially if you used to watch the Muppet Show back in the day.

    Thanks for this reminder. It seems that as we become more "sophisticated," it takes more "sophisticated" things to give us joy - or at least a sense of it. Meanwhile, we miss the many simple and joyful things that God parades before us every day.

    And now, since I do not have any Cinnamon Toast Crunch at hand, I shall go enjoy a brownie instead.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cindy and Chris for finding joy in my joy! And Chris, a brownie is a perfect substitute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!