Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Happy 25th Anniversary To Us!

This past Saturday night at Bahama Breeze
A quick update- Josephine Naomi Kuramochi was born to Jennifer (Minnigan) & Jun on August 29th at 2:30 PM. She weighed in at a little over 8 pounds and 19 1/2 inches long.  Mom and baby are doing great.  Welcome to our world, Josephine!  There is no truth to the rumor that they will call her Bob...


25 years ago today Marilyn Steele and I stood in the presence of God and before our family and friends and were joined in holy matrimony.  In our vows we promised all of the usual of things (except the obey part- no one promised to obey!).  We promised to love, cherish and support one another.  We promised to do those things in sickness and in health.  We also promised to do those until death parts us.  But there was one phrase we both uttered in our vows that I want to focus on today as I remember 25 years with my best friend.  As we made these promises, we said that we would keep them because we would have "divine assistance."  I firmly believe that willingness to include God in our relationship is why we are celebrating today.


Some of you may not believe this (insert sarcasm here), but I have not always been easy to live with.  Way before I nearly destroyed my family with my sin, I could be a real pain in the butt.  Sometimes I gave the best of myself to the churches I served and Marilyn (and later Will) got what was left over.  Sometimes I was very selfish.  Sometimes I was simply an idiot!  But through it all, we loved each other and clung to each other, because we knew God was in control.   We have not always been "happy."  We have not always had the "tinglies" for each other.  But we have always loved each other with God's love.  And that is why we have reached this milestone today- and reached it with a level of greater love and respect for one another than we have ever known before.


Happy Anniversary, baby!
I had always dreamed of a big party or a big trip to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but finances and my travel restrictions don't allow for that right now.  That day will come.  Instead, this past Saturday night the 3 of us went to dinner at one of our favorite places - Bahama Breeze - and had a wonderful dinner and family time together.  After 25 years of marriage and 16 years of raising a son, we all love each other and enjoy each other's company.   I guess we got to have that big party after all...  I love you, Marilyn, and I still promise that "with divine assistance I will be a loving husband as long as we both shall live."   Thank you for 25 years of blessings and the promise of so many more to come.


Because of Jesus,

8 comments:

  1. CJ, thanks for sharing your story and experience. It's motivating and a blessing to know that ministry and marriage can have longevity together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that Chris. It works as long as you realize there are 3 in the marriage- you, your spouse and Jesus. Corny perhaps, but very, very true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim Fry8/30/2011

    Well said Carl....and Happy Anniversary to the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Jim. Hope you and Karen are well. Would love to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! Your family looks fantastic. Here's to another 25 years of beautiful blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Meagan. Looking forward to meeting your beautiful family somewhere along the road!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary to both of you. I can't believe that I can remember when Will was born. It's official, we are BOTH old. You, of course, older than me. But still, you know what I mean. :) Glad it was a great celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teresa, even when you are being especially sweet you still manage to get in an old joke. And yet I am always glad to hear them coming from you! BTW, soon I will start aging backwards and we will meet in the middle. Or at least that's my plan...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!