Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday Shout Outs- HOF Edition!

Yesterday's induction of Keri Vinson Johnston into my Youth Group Hall of Fame brings the total of HOF inductees to around 100.  I say "around" because since I have inducted a few whole graduating classes and families, it means the actual number is hard to define.  One thing is for certain- every single person included in the HOF is someone who had a great impact on influence on my life during their days as a part of the various student ministries I served.  I encourage you to visit the HOF page on this site and read all about these amazing friends.


Today I want to talk to you about a group of people who are being added to a special wing (maybe 3rd floor, one of the big bedrooms) of the Betsy B whenever we get around turning it into the HOF.  This special edition of Saturday Shout Outs is dedicated to people who have earned a special place in my heart (and the HOF) in the almost two years since I started writing this blog.  All were part of one of my youth groups at some point in time, and they were all special then.  But over the last couple of years their love and support has given them a special place in my heart- and in the Hall of Fame!  Many of those already inducted (Teresa Reep TysingerJerry Hanbery, Charles Freedle, Lauren Carr Cacciatore, Jocelyn Sessions WardJamie Robinson, Lisa Kraus Spires, Jennifer Minnigan Kuramochi, Zach Wehr and many more!) could be on this list as well, but they already know how important they are to me.  I also didn't include two very old friends (I mean we have been friends a long time- not that they are very old- although Steve is older than me!), Steve Semmler and Susan McBane Tuggle, because they were never in a youth group I lead.  But their support has meant a lot to me.  Here's who I'm shouting at today...

  • Cindy Martin - I'll never forget the day Cindy brought her daughter Colleen to my office at FUMC-Kissimmee for the first time.  Life was never the same- and in all good ways!  Cindy became part of our Youth Ministry Team and a dear friend.  But all of that was just a prelude to the love and support she has shown me since I started writing this blog.  Her encouragement has kept me going on many a "dark" afternoon, and words cannot express my love for Cindy and her family.  Can't wait to see them all soon!
  • Ashley Goad Broadhurst - The artist formerly known as "Prudence Irwina" in her youth group days at Springfield Friends Meeting is now an amazing woman, serving Jesus all over the place and currently living in Las Vegas.   Her love and support over the last 2 years have been steadfast, and I am so proud of who she has become.
  • Brook Teoli Phelps - Brook was a junior in high school when I arrived at FUMC-K in 1994, so I didn't get all that much time with her in our youth ministry.  But whether it has been on this blog, on Twitter or on Marilyn's Facebook, no one could be more encouraging and supportive than Brook has been- all the way from Sacramento!  It is safe to say there were times in the beginning of this blog when I was pretty certain only 5 people were reading- but I always knew one of them was Brook.  I truly hope to see her soon when she comes to visit her family here in Florida.
  • Caitlin Esry - Another one of my heroes, Caitlin is living in Kissimmee and teaching these days- but she always takes time to read this blog, and been over to have lunch with my family on numerous occasions, along with her sister Bethany and the great Julia Pribyl (all FUMC-K).  Their support and especially Caitlin's prayers have meant a great deal to me.
  • Ann Saunders Hale - Ann was a part of the Springfield Friends Meeting crew back in the day, but it is her great spirit and ability to make me laugh on Twitter and this blog that get her on this list.  She a very brave mom and wife, and I am honored to have her as a friend!
  • Todd Willis - OK, this one is technically cheating (how appropriate- Todd cheated at every youth group game he ever played!), because Todd is already in as part of the FUMC-K class of '95, but he and his wife Kristin deserve special recognition for being faithful readers and great friends of ours through thick and thin.  Looking forward to meeting Kristin someday soon...
  • Meagan Hill Halquist - Another FUMC-K alum who has provided great encouragement to me- while bringing a beautiful baby boy into the world at the same time!  She and Kelly Jeck Trace made me laugh so hard with some of their comments on my Kissimmee posts!
  • Lisa Jewett - A member of the Youth Ministry Team at Wesley Memorial UMC (she also had two sons in the youth group), Lisa is now one of our best friends in Tampa and an avid blog reader.  She also won the 6 String Rocketeer trivia contest from Thursday!  She may never really understand how much her love and support means to me.
  • Wayne Cook - Rev. Wayne is one of the people (along with Cathy Thacker and lots of my Twitter friends) who has reminded me that God is not finished with me yet.  I have very much appreciated his two visits to Tampa and his prayers.  
I could go on and on (and at some point I just might!) but for now, I welcome everyone mentioned here to this very special wing of my Hall of Fame.  I can't wait for the grand opening.  The party will be amazing...

    Because of Jesus,

    4 comments:

    1. Anonymous8/20/2011

      Thank you so much Carl - you will probably never truly realize how much you, Marilyn and little Will (i know he is not so little anymore) meant in the day, and still mean today to our family!!! We love, miss, and look forward to seeing y'all soon also!!!!

      Cindy

      ReplyDelete
    2. I can't believe I made it into you HOF!!! ;) Thanks bunches. I am so happy to have reconnected with you too.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Glad to have you aboard, Ann! Looking forward to your return to blogging!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Awe, Carl! Thanks! I so enjoy your blog and am so glad you share your heart so freely while walking with Christ. I LOVE watching God at work and appreciate it when people (like you) share their story/testimony. God is so good and I am so thankful He has allowed us to reconnect! You were and always will be an excellent teacher for me and radiant example of God's love and grace. Looking forward to many more fantastic posts on this blog! Best wishes and thanks again for the shout out!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!