Saturday, October 30, 2010

Saturday Shout Outs!

Welcome to another episode of Shout Outs!  After a couple of weeks of finishing up the Kissimmee years, making people cry and starting off the new adventure in Chicagoland, I want to take few minutes today to look at what's been going on here in 2010!  Let's get started!
  • Happy Birthday to Jerry Hanbery, who turns 40 today!!!  OK, so he's not 40 yet- I'm just practicing!  But today is his birthday, and I hope it is a great one!  And yesterday was Mike Mercadante's (Springfield).  It's a big weekend for Hall of Fame characters!!!
  • Marilyn, Will & I had a great dinner with our old friend Jeremy Godwin (Springfield, pictured at right)) this past Wednesday night. It was great to catch up with news of his family (wife Laura and two little girls) as well as hear what his parents and twin sister Shelley were up to.  Turns out that Laura owns her own homemade candy shop in Archdale, NC, so if you are in the area and want something special be sure and check out Mama Laura's (Click the link and you can even order online!).   Just seeing the pictures on Facebook made me hungry!  Oh- one more thing.  Jeremy brought a special guest with him to Applebee's, and I am glad to report that Stinky the Pootopotamus is alive and well!
  • It was so good to hear from some great people I had not heard from in a while over the past two weeks- wonderful friends like Dana Schmidt, Jill Augenblick Lowe and Mark McKenna, all from FUMC-K.
  • Our dog Conner is back to waking me up at 4 AM several mornings a week.  Does anyone know a good pet psychologist?  Is it unethical to give your dog Tylenol PMLaurie Rees (Springfield) asked on Facebook yesterday why dogs don't come with snooze buttons- sounds like a winning idea to me!
  • One of the founders of modern youth ministry, Mike Yaconelli, was killed in a car wreck 7 years ago today, and I still miss him.  To read my thoughts on how Mike influenced me, click here
  • Kelly Jeck (FUMC-K) is getting married a week from today!  Best wishes Kelly and Keith, and may God bless your union.  Remember, no matter where life takes you, God will be there...
  • In a move that absolutely NO ONE requested, I have added audio of me singing Radical Man to the post on that song I wrote a while back.  To see it and some other classic Kissimmee posts, click on FUMC-K's Greatest Hits here or at the top of the page.
  • A whole bunch of dear old friends from FUMC-K- Jennifer Kuramochi, Meagan Halquist, Brook Elaine, Todd Willis, Caitlin Esry, Lisa Spires, Connor Lewis, Cindy Martin and many more- have been so faithful in responding to these blog posts.  Whether by comment, e-mail or Tweet, they have stayed in touch.  I say to all of them and to all of you- Just because I have moved on from writing about Kissimmee is no excuse to lose touch!  I love hearing from all of you, and it is special to me every time I do!
  •  Halloween is almost here so we know that Thanksgiving is not far away.  I am going to be doing some "Remembering New York" blogs the week of Turkey Day, and I would love for any of you who went to NYC with me to help me out with two items.  One, what were your fondest memories of those trips?  Two, what Broadway play (or plays) did you see?  Use this e-mail link and send me your memories.  Do it now!  Please? At right you see a group from Wesley Memorial UMC doing one of the required 100 group shots with Lady Liberty...
  • My thoughts and prayers go out to Jill and Brian Watson, who recently lost Jill's Uncle Bob to kidney failure, and to my dear friend Susan Tuggle who is dealing with cancer.  I love you all and you will remain in my prayers.
  • And finally, for those of you who have been guessing, I would estimate that I spent about $300 a year on candy for my office in Kissimmee... and that was just the stuff I bought for you guys, not the good stuff I kept for myself!
I'm done until tomorrow!  Happy Halloween everyone!

Because of Jesus,

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/30/2010

    I remember seeing Les Miz and Joseph and the Dreamcoat, and going to the UN and the Statue of Liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/04/2010

    November 1998, The Sound of Music, The Scarlet Pimpernwl (Thanks Sandi Lynch - great play) and of course my favorite, thanks CJ Les Mis. I saw it again no less than 4 times since. Debbie Rogers "hair do", the food and food and more food at Carmines. Great trip, one I hold dear in my heart and memory bank!!! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cindy. That was indeed a great trip, and I am going to write more about it Thaksgiving week when I revisit some New York trips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/04/2010

    I remember Les Miz, Radio City, touring NBC and walking. And walking. And walking some more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11/04/2010

    oh and i almost forgot - having to push jill souther around in a wheelchair cuz she had sprained or broken her ankle right before we left???? cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some great video of that trip, including some of Jill struggling around on crutches. She was very brave. I hope to get that video ready for a surprise at some point...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!