Friday, October 8, 2010

Hall of Fame: Darin Miller

On Wednesday I talked about the web of ministry that is so visible to me in my life, and I mentioned the name Darin Miller (pictured with my lovely wife Marilyn).  His ministry and his web spread far wider than I can do justice to here.  But I will attempt to give you my little piece of his story today.

Sometime in 1994 (I think!) I was approached after worship at FUMC-K one Sunday morning by a young man I did not recognize.  Someone had told him I was the Director of Student Ministries (they most likely called me the youth guy, but I did have a title!) and he wanted to speak with me about volunteering.  A native of Alabama and a very proud alumni of Auburn University, he was going to be living in the area for a while, working as the chief engineer on the fire protection system at Disney's Boardwalk Resort.  It was under construction at the time.  We talked for a few moments and I discovered he had a Methodist background and a love of youth ministry and music, so I invited him to join us that evening for UMYF.  He showed up, and in no time at all became a valued part of our Youth Ministry Team.  He often played guitar with me at youth, and the kids simply loved him.  He also sang in every choir FUMC-K had.  Darin was a once-in-a-lifetime, fall-out-of-the-sky answer to prayer.  He went on numerous trips and survived some amazing adventures.  I seem to even recall Jocelyn landing on his head during a game...but he lived!

When his work at WDW was complete, he went back to Alabama and we mourned his loss.  But before long he was back, doing the same work at what is now Raymond James Stadium in Tampa.  He jumped right back in with us until he once again had to return home.  Darin loved his job, and judging by the size of the projects he had been entrusted with was obviously very good at it.  But Darin was about to encounter a serious problem...

During his time in Kissimmee he had become very close to the Thacker family, and had spent a lot of time at their home.  As anyone who knows her will tell you, spending large amounts of time around Cathy Thacker will change you- for the better! Between his work with the youth and choirs and his time with Cathy, Darin was struggling with a growing feeling that God was calling him to ministry.  It all came to a head when the pastor at his church in Alabama called him into his office one day and told him their youth pastor was leaving- and wanted to know if Darin would be interested in the job.  He was a little stunned.  He called me late that night to ask me what I thought.  I encouraged him and told him that I felt God had gifted him for ministry, especially with youth.  That was what I said, and it was all true.  Still, what I thought was, "Are you insane?"   It was just difficult to imagine any sane person giving up a stable, high-paying job for a low-paying 75 hour a week job working with crazy people!  I mean who would do that?  You'd have to be some kind of fool- for Christ's sake!  We talked for quite a while that night, and I knew when we finished that he was taking the job.  God was calling- and Darin was listening.  He has been in full-time student ministry ever since.  God has blessed him with a wife, a family and great churches to serve.  In return, Darin has done amazing work bringing youth into the presence Jesus.  I thank God often for allowing me to be some small part of the web of ministry that Darin has created.  (In a related note, Cathy Thacker would give up her position as the general manager of a local car dealership to go into the ministry.  She is now a Pastor in Orlando.)

Today I induct Darin Miller into my Youth Group Hall of Fame for the faithfulness and joy he injected into our student ministries at FUMC-K.  Those who knew him in those days will never forget his contributions and his friendship.  I will never forget his faithfulness and willingness to be a "fool for Christ."  Blessings to you, old friend!

Because of Jesus,

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10/08/2010

    A fool for Christ's sake. That is an awesome concept, and a goal to shoot for. Thanks for the inspiration! - Mindy V.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!