Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Moment With Mullins

Some of you are aware of my history with the sacrament of communion.  I have shared how growing up in the Society of Friends (Quakers) gave me a unique perspective on the importance of remembering the sacrifice of Christ as part of daily life, not just as a symbolic ritual (to read more, see Communion Confusion).  In that same post I told the story of serving communion at New Garden Friends Meeting- something that had never been done before.  I shared the story of serving communion to the youth of Springfield Friends Meeting at a beach retreat, using Krispy Kreme doughnuts and orange juice.  I compared lunch at Pizza Inn to communion.  I have led and served Holy Communion at Methodist churches.  I have experienced tremendous power in the taking of the communion elements; I have also gone through the motions on many occasions.  In high school I attended Easter Mass at Myrtle Beach with my friend Steve Furr and witnessed the sharing of the Eucharist with 2000 Catholics.  And on Easter Sunday 2007 I served the Lord's Supper using stale rolls and frozen apple juice in a place where all present were struggling to keep from losing all hope- including myself.  It is safe to say that I think about practicing the presence of Christ- and that is what communion truly is- each and every day.

The late Rich Mullins and I shared this unique perspective, because he too grew up among Quakers.  Like myself, Rich loved the sacrament, and found great power in the symbolism of the bread and the juice.  But also like me, Rich understood that symbolism is not necessary in order to commune with God.  Every meal, every moment of solitude, every moment of praise can be spent in communion.  Remembering Jesus should not require the bread and the cup; it should be an everyday experience.   Our lives should be lived "in remembrance" of Jesus and the sacrifice He made for us.  And yet the the symbolism of the sacrament should not be lost on us.  It is an invitation to the family of God to sit together at the feet of the Savior.  Rich wrote today's featured song to express those beliefs.  He wanted the world to know that the "Peace of Christ" is always available, and that we are all invited to join the feast.  No matter the setting, no matter the moment, the love of Christ is available to us.  And we are to share that love.  In Rich's words,

Though we're strangers, still I love you
I love you more than your mask
And you know you have to trust this to be true
And I know that's much to ask
But lay down your fears, come and join this feast
He has called us here, you and me

So take this moment to hear the beauty of Peace (A Communion Blessing) and come into the presence of the Christ.  Experience His love.  Accept His invitation and come join the feast, wherever you may be.  "Peace of Christ to you..."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10/28/2010

    Some valuable thoughts on what the celebration of communion can and should be. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!