Saturday, October 9, 2010

Random Ramblings #9


I, like Steve Martin (and the Muppets) am a Ramblin' Guy, so it is time for another edition of Random Ramblings!  I don't know about you, but I have had a pretty amazing week.  Here are a few of the things that have been on my mind:
  • Marilyn and I used a birthday coupon to eat at the Mellow Mushroom last night while Will and the band were at an away game.  Excellent pizza, and the atmosphere made me want to break out some 60's and 70's music and chill.  Which brings me to this...
  • Today would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday.  In my teenage years John was somewhat of a hero of mine.  I know you will find this hard to believe, but I am a little too young to have been caught up in the Beatles (although at my Jr. High School dances they would often play Hey Jude.  It was a very important song because it is over 8 minutes long.  You did not want to get stuck slow dancing with the wrong girl for 8 minutes...).  Lennon's solo efforts were, however, very important in my life.  He was THE spokesperson for the peace movement at a time when my own pacifism was just developing.  Although we came at our ideology from very different places (I am a pacifist because I believe it is in keeping with the teachings of Jesus; John hated violence and often saw religion as a primary cause of war.  I wish I could say his views were not justified...) songs such as Imagine, Give Peace A Chance and Happy Christmas (War Is Over) spoke to me.  When he was killed on December 8, 1980, a large part of the heart of the peace movement in USAmerica died with him.  Just over a month later Ronald Reagan was elected and the 1970's were officially over.  I often wonder what John Lennon would have thought about the world today.  One thing is for sure- he would have still been trying to get the world to "give peace a chance." 
  • Marilyn, Will and I are having lunch today with Caitlin and Bethany Esry here in Tampa.  It is always so wonderful to see old friends.  Look out, Green Iguana- the last time we were there with former youth the laughter almost shook the lizard off the roof!
  • I had a wonderful birthday on Wednesday, and no small part of it were all the nice notes from old friends here, on Facebook and on Twitter.  And Jerry Hanbery, who by his own admission would not return an e-mail from Jesus, called me.  You guys rock!Thanks again to everyone who took the time to wish me a good day.
  • I discovered again last night, while trying to respond to a text message from Jennifer Minnigan Kuramochi, that the world's least efficient form of communication is me trying to type a text.  Pitiful.
  • I am still looking for updates on what kinds of ministries my former youth are up to, so please send your stories along to me at youthguy07@aol.com  If you don't, I'll just make things up like I did for Amber Herrick and then you too will have to correct me!
  • I have had the privilege over the past few weeks of working on a Bible study for a company called Interlinc to use with a music curriculum they produce.  I sent it in Thursday.  If you were ever in one of my youth groups, you no doubt saw Christian music videos that came from Interlinc.  Part of this project required me to preview a new album from Third Day called Move that will not be out until October 19th.  It is an incredible album, full of songs about hope and faith.  But you can't hear it yet- so na-na-na-na-na!!!  Seriously, thanks to Rick Bundschuh and Ken McCoy for helping me continue my step-by-step return to ministry.  I am so blessed.
  • I have connected with many old friends from my National Youth Workers Convention days through Twitter, and have had a chance to say "thank you" to a number of people who had great influence over my ministry through the years.  It's been a blast to reconnect!
I'll stop there for today, although this has been a week just full of blessings!  Tomorrow (by popular demand) I will be sharing my thoughts on this week's GLEE episode, which dealt with questions of faith.  Get ready for my views on Grilled Cheesus!  Until then, stay faithful!

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!