Saturday, March 15, 2014

Never Hopeless

I have a good friend who often tells me that I am hopeless. This friend means it as a compliment, and she uses in a way that is not uncommon in our society. At one point this week I found myself telling people that I am a hopeless optimist. The idea behind the phrase is that no matter what, I will always be optimistic about life situations. But the more I think about it the less I like that wording. You see, I am actually very seldom hopeless. In fact, despite all the evidence and the circumstances of the world around me, I am constantly hope-filled. And this week was a great example of why.

I was reminded this week that I have friends who love me in ways and for reasons I can never understand. I received good news that supported my belief that the darkness can never over come the Light. I saw a light at the end of a very long, very dark tunnel for the first time in quite a while. And most importantly, I was showered with grace and reminded that Jesus is the source of hope, a shining symbol of the way God loves us. If we have faith, we are never hopeless. Things will still get dark. Things will still be painful. But there will always be hope. Always. 

This morning I found myself singing the great Third Day song, Don't Give Up Hope.  I wrote a bible study based on that song a couple of years ago, so I know it inside and out.  Take a look at the first verse and the chorus.  You will understand why it came to my mind...


This world just keeps on getting crazier and crazier everyday
You're so afraid 
Sometimes it feels like it's chasing your sanity away
And you start to break
Let me help you find your way

Don't give up faith
Don't give up hope
There's always something better
Waiting around the corner
Don't give up now
Please, don't let go
What can feel like the ending
Could just be the beginning
Don't give up hope

Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. No evil, no frustration and no pain can separate us from his love and grace. While there will always be days that will test our faith, they should never defeat us, because we are promised that God will never forsake us. The sun will still shine. Our friends will still love us. And if we look for them, we can see that there are blessings beyond measure to be found in our lives everyday. So today let us be careful not to give in or give up- because with Jesus we are never hopeless. God is still in control. Don't give up faith! And if you need a little kick in the butt today, play the video. You will be inspired. Have a blessed Saturday!



Because of Jesus,

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your article!!! Stay hopeful and keep going! I often think of pandoras box from greek mythology because after all these horrible things leave the box and enter the world, hope is the last thing that comes out of the box. I love this little quote from an article I read, "Hope has the power to fill our lives with happiness..." and it is through christ that we can have this hope of better things to come! Faith, Hope, Charity and love will lead to a happy life!
    Here is a link to the whole article about hope should you wish to read it. :) https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/the-infinite-power-of-hope?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!