Tuesday, December 31, 2013

3 Quotes & a ?

Happy New Year's Eve! As we come to the end of 2013, my heart has turned more and more to the question of what we in the church are saying to those outside of the church, and whether or not our words and deeds have anything to do with Jesus. Yesterday I told you about a conversation I overheard where many of the things that seem to be high priorities for many Christians were confusing to people outside the church. Today I want to leave you with three quotes and a question, and then leave it up to my readers to fill in the blanks- or not. Tomorrow we will kick-off the new year- a year we will refer to as Year of Living Dangerously! Today's thoughts are primarily to challenge me, but I hope they will lead you to water as well...and maybe even make you take a sip...

Quote #1-  I have used this on my blog before because I think it says so much. When asked his opinion of Jesus and Christianity, Gandhi once said, "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." I often wonder if that is how many outside of the church feel about us. If we are not loving people no matter their flaws or their failures, then we are not showing the world who Jesus really is.

Quote #2Micheal McKean, best known for his role as Lenny on Laverne & Shirley and as the lead singer of Spinal Tap,  once retweeted this message from comedian John Fugelsang:"I view Jesus the way I view Elvis - I love the guy, but a lot of the fan clubs freak me out..." I laughed, but it also made me think. If I wasn't already a Christian and heard the words and thoughts of some of the people who speak most loudly about the faith, I am not sure how interested I would be. These "fan clubs" can indeed be a little freaky...and not in a good way!

Quote #3- The late Brennan Manning once wrote, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” You may also know those words from the prelude to the amazing DC Talk song What If I Stumble? I know my life has been at times the ultimate in hypocrisy. What damage have I done the cause of Christ?

So here's my question. Does my life, even with all of my faults and failures, show the people I encounter each day the real Jesus? Or am I part of the problem? It's a question we must all answer for ourselves. Have a safe and wonderful New Year's Eve, my friends.

Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Carl! Thank you! I love that you can continue to be my "youth pastor" in a sense, encourage, and challenge me! It is always a pleasure! :-) Best wishes to you and your AMAZING family in the New Year! Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brook. It's a blessing and a pleasure to have you in my life! Love you too!

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!