Thursday, December 26, 2013

Twas the Night After Christmas


Last night, after a full day with family and friends, a day full of wonderful texts and conversations with people I dearly love, I found myself alone in a quiet house and began to listen to one of my great gifts I received yesterday- a Beach Boys 50th anniversary tour live double CD set. The Beach Boys have long been one of my favorite bands, and we have a lot of history together. As I listened I was taken on quite a journey. So with apologies to real poets everywhere, here are a few thoughts that came to me late...VERY LATE...last night.

Twas the night after Christmas and all through the house
the only sounds were the dog and the click of my mouse
Marilyn was headed for good old NC
For a well-deserved break and to see family
With Will at Michelle's and the dog at my feet
I sat by the computer with popcorn to eat
I reflected back on a blessed Christmas day
With family and friends and Jesus' birthday
I texted some texts and tweeted some tweets
I had me some egg nog and sneaked a few sweets
And just when I thought I might doze off and snore
I opened a gift- and it was yesterday once more
Michelle had given me a wondrous CD
of the Beach Boys on their 50th anniversary
As their classic old tunes my headphones did fill
the harmonies and memories gave me a chill
I couldn't help but think of so many old friends
when the song urged us to "Do It Again"
Over and over the music took me away
to warm sunny beaches and times gone astray
I thought of loves I was once certain were true
as they sang "God only knows what I'd be without you"
And when the Boys finished with "Fun, Fun, Fun"
the smile on my face was as bright as the sun
We can't live in the past, I know this to be true
but I learned something last night that I'll share now with you
We will not know when and we may not know why
it will seem like our lives are passing us by
And a memory will remind us of something so sweet
of people and places and loved ones we meet
Christmas is a time of peace and of love
of remembering the gift God sent from above
But it's also a time to reach out to a friend
with a hug you can give or a text you can send
We can all make the world a bit warmer place
by putting a smile on a dear old friend's face
So I'll face the world today with new expectations
of sharing anew my own "Good Vibrations"
And I have this to say before I turn out the light
Christmas day was great- but so was the night!

I hope you all had a wonderful and blessed Christmas! Now let's keep the Light shining!!!

Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!