Monday, December 30, 2013

How Will They Know?

I was eavesdropping on a conversation in a check-out line at Walmart last week between two 30-something adults. There was headline on a tabloid about the Phil Robertson/Duck Dynasty mess and how angry it made Christians- and this couple was discussing it. They were either not believers themselves or were just simply disgusted with Christians despite their own beliefs. While I didn't record the conversation (I'm not THAT tacky!) and I don't claim to have Dr. Sheldon Cooper's eidetic memory, the discussion went something like this...

MAN: Christians get worked up over the weirdest things. Duck Dynasty? Really?
WOMAN: Well they have to defend people who bash gays. It's in their constitution or something.
MAN: Yeah first it was Chick-fil-A and now this. So much for the "love one another" sh*t.
WOMAN: It seems like they are always fired up over some cause that makes no sense to me. They seem to always be boycotting something or somebody. I don't have a clue what a Christian is anymore! 
MAN: Oh that's easy. A Christian is a Duck Dynasty watching, gay-bashing, Chick-fil-A eating, Obamacare-hating republican. Oh and anti-abortion. Just bring up any of those topics and you'll get a sermon for sure.
WOMAN: I thought it had more to do with following Jesus....I guess that's old school.
MAN: Yeah, it's less about religion and more about politics now.

My fellow Christ-followers, we have a PR problem. Certainly some of those descriptions apply to many faithful women & men, including myself. I love eating at Chick-fil-A. But if those are the things that most easily identified us, I believe Jesus is weeping. It's no wonder people are turning away from the church in record numbers. How will people know if we are followers of the Christ? I think I read somewhere (John 13:35), "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Jesus said that. Maybe it's time we started paying attention.

Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Carl. Well said. It's so frustrating when the Christians who are the loudest are known for what they are against not for what they are for or their love. Unfortunately Satan wants it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. And very, very well said.

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!