Thursday, February 4, 2010

CCM Countdown: 25-21

Welcome back to my every Thursday countdown of the 50 Contemporary Christian Music projects that had the most impact on my life and ministry from 1972-2007.  To see numbers 30-26 and find a link to go further back, click here.

25)  (tie)  BEAUTY IN THE BROKENStarfield-  2006
This Canadian worship band already had us singing Filled With Your Glory when their second project arrived and blew me away!  Featuring such songs as Son of God (with Chris Tomlin), My Generation (not the Who song) and I Want To Hold the Hand That Holds the World, this CD praises God and rocks out all at the same time.
Download this:  I Want To Hold the Hand That Holds the World
25)  (tie)  GO WEST YOUNG MANMichael W. Smith-  1990
I can't even begin to count how many copies of this cassette tape I gave away as a door prize at our TNT ministry.  Every song rang true with us, from the horse that opens the title track through classics like For You, Love Crusade, Agnus Dei, Seed to Sow and Emily.  And Michael's big breakout, crossover hit had even MTV audiences singing "Looking for a reason, roaming through this life to find my place in this world..."  I can still pop in this CD and sing every word.
Download this:  Place In This World
24)  SHAKE ME TO WAKE ME-  Steve Camp-  1985
I purchased this cassette because I saw the lyric to the title track quoted in an article I read, and it aroused my curiosity.  I later shared a stage with Steve at Youthquake '88 in Denver, and was less impressed by him as a person.  But this project, particularly the title cut, Lazy Jane, Bad News for Modern Man and Stranger to Holiness never failed to move me and make me think about my faith.  This project also opened my eyes to a much wider world of CCM.  There is also a killer cover of Asleep In the Light...
 Download this:  Lazy Jane
23)  OFFERINGS-  Third Day-  2000
I am bending my own rules about not including live albums or greatest hits collections in my countdown by including this project, but it is that important to me (and besides they are MY rules!).  It did have some live cuts, and several of the songs are from earlier Third Day efforts.  But mostly, this was my first worship album by a major CCM artist, and when you listened, you WORSHIPPED!  King of Glory, Consuming Fire, Thief, Agnus Dei/Worthy and Saved are among my favorites, but I love it all!
Download this:  Your Love Oh Lord
22)  SAVE THE HUMANS-  Ian Eskelin-  2004
A solo project from the lead singer of All Star United (they appear in the Top 20), this infectious pop album dominated my CD player for a couple of months in 2004.  Songs like Shout, Magnify, Throw It Away, Taboo and American Idle were classic pop/rock tunes paired with very clever lyrics.  We used the title track to make a homemade video about our Graceland Student Ministry.  A great album.
Download this:  Save the Humans
21)  HOME RUN-  Geoff Moore and The Distance-  1995
Geoff became a friend of mine in the mid-90's, and we would have the band play in Kissimmee in 1997.  This album was very meaningful to me on many levels, with songs like The Vow, Evidence of God, Best Days and Home Run becoming favorites of the youth, and Tell Me Again becoming a song I would perform at at least 6 different churches over the years.  Plus, Geoff is just a great guy!
Download this:  Evidence of God

 This week's song to enjoy-  Who I Am Hates Who I've Been-  Relient K-  2005

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!