Thursday, February 18, 2010

CCM Countdown: 15-11

My every Thursday countdown of the 50 Contemporary Christian Music projects that most influenced my life and ministry continues as we approach the Top 10!  To see 20-16 and get links that will lead you to #50, click here.  To check out my new blog, a pre-Easter devotional called The 40 Day Adventure, click here!

15) GOOD ADVICE- James Ward- 1985

I first met James Ward when he performed at the 1982 National Youth Workers Convention in Dallas. He later was with us for Young Friends Yearly Meeting sessions in the late 80's and did our New Year's Eve concert in Vermont at Youthquake '91. This project was always my favorite, featuring great songs like Pray, Pray, Pray, I Belong To You and Death Has Ended. We used the title track and Growing Pains as theme songs for a couple of retreats we did as well. You can still find this rare album on Amazon.
Download this: Good Advice

14) ILLUMINATE- David Crowder Band- 2003
The weird looking dude in the warm-up jacket changed worship music in the 2000's and this CD announced his arrival as a star. Every track lifts praise to God and thrills your soul. Revolutionary Love, O Praise Him (All This For A King), Open Skies and Stars are among the classics featured here. And the opening bars to No One Like You never fail to jump start my spirit and get me ready to praise Jesus! As good as this album is, nothing compares to worshipping with Crowder live...
Download this: No One Like You

13) UNDERDOG- Audio Adrenaline- 1999
I love Audio A, and it was very difficult to leave off so many of their albums. But there was no doubt that Underdog would be high on my countdown! Get Down always reminds me of Isabelle Davis dancing in the youth room in Kissimmee. We later sang it with the youth at Graceland. The title track reminds me of the Union Church of Hinsdale, where Andy Erskine would use it to psych himself up for gymnastics meets. Hands and Feet has connections to so many mission trips. And The Houseplant Song is a wonderful and humorous reminder of our responsibilities to share Jesus with the people we see every day.
And by the way- would you be ready to meet Jesus if a DC-10 fell on your head? Audio A
wants to know!!!
Download this: Mighty Good Leader

12) WE CAN'T STAND SITTING DOWN- Stellar Kart- 2006
I was already a fan of Stellar Kart from their single Life Is Good, Eternal Life Is Better when this CD hit the stores in 2006. This album was huge with my youth in Waycross, and I pretty much wore it out in my car. Great power/pop songs like Activate, Procrastinating, Hold On and Wishes and Dreams always made me smile. And their huge hit Me and Jesus offered this comfort: "When there's nowhere else to turn...remember you've got me and Jesus..."
Download this: Me and Jesus

 11) THE JOSHUA TREE- U2- 1987
Before the yelling starts, I know that U2 is not technically a Christian band. But CCM Magazine had this album in their top 10 all-time, so I can list it too! This project just oozes spirituality, from Where the Streets Have No Name through With Or Without You and In God's Country. But it would make my list based on one song- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. No song better describes the search to be more like Jesus. Bono's vocal soars when he sings about his faith and declares "you know Ibelieve it...but I still haven't found what I'm looking for..." There is ALWAYS more to discover for those who seek the heart of God.
Download this: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For



This week's song to enjoy-  Beyond Belief-  Petra
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!