Monday, February 1, 2010

A Strange Night In Atlanta

If you follow this blog or know me, then you know I have had many adventures in Atlanta over the years (see my posts about getting mugged and table dancing).  One summer (I think 1992) a group of us travelled from Springfield Friends Meeting to Atlanta on our yearly trip to see the Braves play baseball.  I remember very little about the game.  I do, however, have vivid memories of two late night adventures.

We always stayed in "bargain" motels on these trips, so the rooms were a bit iffy.  After the game we had returned to the motel and were getting ready for bed when I heard a knock at my door.  Natalie Whitaker (and I think Beth Brown and Jill Gilbreth, but I could be wrong) were standing there looking a bit goofy.  They explained to me that their toilet was clogged.  I said I would come take a look at it.  They were giggling as we walked over, so I knew something was not quite right. They led me to the toilet, watching me carefully for my reaction.  As I starred into the porcelain abyss, I saw why.  In this room full of young teenage girls, someone had created the single largest piece of poop I had (or have) ever seen in my life.  And it would not flush!  The artist behind this "masterpiece" was not any of the girls named above, and to protect the guilty we will call the villain Sam.  Sam sat on one of the beds, smiling and blushing as I gasped at the size of her creation.  I called the front desk, but it was too late for maintenance- so they sent up a plunger for me to use.  I could not plunge the toilet- I had to use the plunger to break up the monster into smaller pieces.  Only then could I flush.  I left their room a bit shaken, thinking the strangest part of my night was behind me.  I was so very wrong...

A few hours later, around 1 AM, I was sound asleep when I heard another knock.  This time Sam was standing there, and she had a problem.  That special time of the month had arrived, and she had no supplies.  (As a side note I should mention that any male who plans on being in youth ministry for any amount of time had better learn to talk about these things.  Because you WILL have to do it sooner or later- and you will have to do it on EVERY ski trip!)  So at this ungodly hour I loaded Sam into our 15 passenger church van (name on the side, of course) and drove her to look for a convenience store.  There was very little open, and the part of Atlanta we were in was rather scary.  We finally found an open store, but there was a catch.  No one could actually enter the store.  They had a drive-thru window, with metal bars protecting the worker.  This, of course, meant I would have to place an order for the needed supplies.  I pulled up and placed my order- and was told they did not have the particular brand name that Sam used.  The worker told me what they had, and Sam said she did not use that brand.  My response was simple- "You do now!"  We made our purchase, headed back to the motel and called it a night- AGAIN!  I lay in bed for another hour or so, contemplating my career choice and my sanity, but understanding that this was exactly what I had signed up for- to serve students in the name of Jesus.  Before I knew it, it was morning and I had survived that most strange night.  And "Sam," if you are out there reading this- we love ya!

Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. Jill and I were just talking about this Atlanta story the other night (they played the Dodgers in a doubleheader by the way). I'm really enjoying reminiscing! Love you guys and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this was the same time you guys fell asleep at the doubleheader and TBS put you on national TV...very cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!