Sunday, February 14, 2010

"God's Own Fool"

Once I got past the initial shock of the truth of Rich Mullin's words (see yesterday's post) I began to learn.  As he taught on the 10 Commandments, I learned that the command to not take God's name in vain really meant "don't empty the meaning from the name of Lord."  It was so much more that just not cussing.  When he turned his attention to the Beatitudes, he focused a great deal on what it means to be "pure in heart."  His own song One Thing focused our thoughts:  "Everybody I know says they need just one thing, but what they really mean is they need just one thing more...You're my one thing...and the pure in heart shall see GOD..."  At the merchandise table where his tapes and T-shirts were being sold he would take time to explain to students why they should buy his newest project, Never Picture Perfect, instead of the one with the more popular Awesome God- and his reason was that God had taught him so much through the album.  One afternoon I walked into the big room we were meeting in and found him all alone, playing his hammered dulcimer and writing a new song.  The song turned out to be Sometimes By Step, better known by it's chorus "Oh God, You are my God and I will ever praise You."  Later, when the song was published, Rich gave all of the song writing credit to his pal Beaker.  When Randy Cockerham, who was singing the solo part on the youth choir Serenity's performance of Awesome God, asked Rich if he wanted to sing it instead, Rich told Randy how much he was looking forward to hearing him sing it.  He was so humble, so focused, and so connected to Jesus.

One afternoon we took the youth to a local water park (Emerald Aqua Garden Water Country Pointe- the place just couldn't pick a name!), and Rich went but didn't swim.  I sat with him by the pool for a while and confessed to him that I felt rather foolish leading music at this event while he sat and watched.  His response was that "feeling foolish is a good indication that you are walking with Jesus.  He must have looked crazy to his friends."  I asked him if he knew the song God's Own Fool by Michael Card and we discovered we both loved it.  Rich reminded me that being out of step with the world we live in often means we are in step with Jesus- and he challenged me to keep being foolish.  I want to do the same for you.  Read these words from Michael Card and let them remind you what it really means to give your life to the Christ.

It seems I've imagined him all of my life as the wisest of all of mankind
But if God's holy wisdom is foolish to men, He must have seemed out of His mind
For even His family said He was mad, and a Priest said "a demon's to blame"
God in the form of this angry young man could not have seemed perfectly sane

When we in our foolishness thought we were wise,
He played the fool and opened our eyes
When we in our weakness believed we were strong,
He became helpless to show we were wrong

And so we follow God's own Fool, for only the foolish can tell
Believe the unbelievable, come be a fool as well

So come lose your life for a carpenter's son, for a madman who died for a dream
Then you'll know the faith His first followers had and you'll feel the weight of the beam
So surrender the hunger that says you must know and have the courage to say I BELIEVE
For the power of paradox opens your eyes, and blinds those who say they can see

And so we follow God's own Fool...

So get out there and be foolish for Jesus.  Love people when it makes no sense.  Follow the Good Shepherd in a world where everyone wants to be in charge.  Find your One Thing- find Jesus!  Tomorrow I will wrap up my series on Rich by talking about his lasting influence on my ministry.  Come join us!

Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/14/2010

    I always enjoy your posts but these last two (and looking forward to the next) have truly gone deep in meaning. I enjoy Rich's music but now have a deeper apprecation of his music, your youth ministry and Gods Holy Word!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. I just hope my words help point readers to Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!