Thursday, January 28, 2010

CCM Countdown: 30-26


It's Thursday, and time for another installment of my countdown of the 50 Contemporary Christian Music albums that had the most impact on my life and ministry.  To see numbers 35-31 and get links to go further back, click here!

30)  KANSASJennifer Knapp-  1997
Jennifer Knapp was 23 years old when she was discovered by Toby McKeehan of dc Talk fame and signed to Gotee Records.  This, her debut album named after her home state, reflected her doubts and fears as well as her love for a God she found faithful.  The two big hits, Romans and Undo Me, are songs that never cease to move me.
Download this:  Undo Me
29)  GREAT LENGTHSPFR-  1994
The first album I ever heard from PRF (I would go back and buy all the old ones and
everything else they ever did!) let me know immediately why they were considered to be "the Beatles" of CCM.  Their creative lyrics, soaring melodies and unique harmonies made an immediate fan of me.  This project featured an amazing assortment of tunes, including the title track, Wonder Why, Merry Go Round, The Grace of God and The Love I Know.  If you are not familiar with this Minnesota trio, check them out!
Download this:  Wonder Why
28)  REDEMPTION SONGS-  Jars of Clay-  2005
The first of three Jars projects on my list (the other 2 are top 10!) this collection of contemporary recordings of classic hymns and gospel songs is one of my favorite pieces of travelling music because it simply causes my soul to soar!  I Need Thee Every Hour, God Will Lift Up Your Head, Let Us Love and Sing Of Wonder (with Martin Smith of Delirious) and It Is Well With My Soul are among my favorites.
Download this:  God Will Lift Up Your Head
27)  HAPPY DISSONANCE-  Spooky Tuesday-  1997
Spooky Tuesday became a favorite of mine after Rick Bundschuh, the pastor at their home church in Hawaii (and father of bass player Justin) called to ask me if we could host them for a concert at FUMC-Kissimmee in 1997.  They would eventually play three concerts and lead one retreat for me before they broke up in 2002.  Their unique style and the fact that they
featured both a male and a female lead singer really appealed to our youth.  This album featured Personal Invitation, Selfish Love, Suicideand Salvation.  I will forever remember Jessica, Kevin, Andrew and Pepe (Justin) as the band who taught us Prince of Peace...
Download this:  Cry Me To Sleep
26)  THE BEAUTIFUL LETDOWNSwitchfoot-  2003
I was already a huge fan of this California band after their New Way To Be Human project, but even their biggest fans were unprepared for the massive popularity ofthis CD.  Meant To Live, Dare You To Move and More Than Fine were all crossover hits, getting play on rock stations and MTV.  Other great songs included the title track and Redemption.  This album made it very cool to be a Christian band.
Download this:  Gone


This week's song to enjoy-  Only A Fool-  Geoff Moore and the Distance- 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!