Friday, January 15, 2010

"This IS Barbara's room..."

One of the young ladies who joined us on our Floridays 1990 trip was Natalie Whitaker.  Natalie's mom Brenda had been one of the adults on our 1987 trip, and her sister Traci had been a participant.  Natalie and her younger brother Justin had joined us even though they were not yet of youth group age.  By 1990, Nat was a very active and very important part of our youth family. 

Natalie had one small problem- she got homesick.  Her mom was not going with us in 1990, and people doubted if Nat would survive the week.  As I began to explore the situation it became clear to me that Nat might not be the one having the problem.  When she was away from home her mom would call her and say things like "Do you miss us?" and "If you want to come home it's OK."  Brenda was missing Nat so much that it was triggering the homesickness. I told Brenda that we would take Natalie to Florida, but that for the first few days she was not allowed to talk to her.  Brenda's brother Butch Moran and his wife Barbara were going with us, so Nat would have family she could turn to if she needed them, and Brenda could call Barbara to get updates.  This plan worked wonderfully, and Natalie had a great time- and to the best of my knowledge was never homesick again.  But my plan did lead to one small mishap...

Butch and Barbara roomed with Marilyn and I at the Gold Key Inn.  They were our best friends at Springfield Friends Meeting, and it just worked out for us to share space.  Early one morning (I think the first morning, but I can't swear to it) the phone in our room rang very early- we were all in the process of getting up (Remember, this is before cell phones.).  I answered the phone and heard Brenda Whitaker say "Oh sorry Carl- I thought I was ringing Barbara's room."  I responded without hesitation "This IS Barbara's room."  At first there was silence on the other end, and then Brenda just started to stammer.  I was laughing so hard I couldn't talk.  Barbara took the phone and explained to her that we were all sharing a room, but Butch and I kept making jokes about it.  We were pretty sure she understood, but we still half expected to get calls asking what kind of hanky-panky we were up to on this trip!  We loved Brenda and her husband Denny too, and over the years we brought up this story as often as possible.  It is truly a great memory from a sensational trip.  Come back this weekend for still more from Floridays 1990...

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!