Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Even More Charles & Mike...


I have a few more random stories to finish off my three days of Mike and Charles, pictured above doing bad karaoke at TNT.  Or maybe their Hans and Franz impressions.  Or maybe just doing their thing!  Here we go:

*  The epic 1989 Myrtle Beach trip to The Betsy B was a showcase for a young Mike Mercadante.  Three events stand out, all of which are captured on video.  Mike had a little stuffed animal he carried around all that week that he named "T.P."  This was short for Tom Petty.  Mike walked around all week singing "Yer So Bad."  It was too funny.  He was holding T.P. when he was interviewed for the video and asked for his definition of a "total babe."  This was the catchphrase of the week for hotties, both male and female.  Others, such as Patrick Tillman, had answered the question with lines like "a total babe has all the right curves in all the right places."  Mike, grinning with mischief as he spoke, gave the classic definition "Carl; a total babe is someone who... cares about their community."  We all cracked up as he tried to keep a straight face.  Classic!  And finally, Mike and Jon Moran (along with Patrick and with Danny McCorquodale as their bouncer!) put on full KISS make-up and did a half-hour long lip sync concert for us on our last night.  I have often thought that NOTHING was more entertaining than a youth group trip...

*  The summer after I left Springfield Friends Meeting for Kissimmee in 1994, Charles Freedle and some friends took a cross-country trip, partially inspired by the trip Alan Brown, Carl Semmler and I had taken in 1979.  One night, around 1 AM, my phone rang, and I picked-up and heard a loud "HEYYYYY!  CARL!!!! I'M IN NEW ORLEANS!!!!"  It seems that Charles was having a great trip!  I also got a call from Cali as they were waiting to see a taping of a TV show, I believe Married With Children.  Don't quote me on that, it's all kind of a blur...

*  Before I left Springfield we had planned an "Alumni" trip to Walt Disney World in December of 1994.  Since I was moving to Disney anyway, we went ahead with the trip.  Marilyn and I stayed with the gang a couple of nights, sharing a room with Mike and Charles.  The first of those nights they were out at Pleasure Island very late and we had gone to bed.  When they came in, they remembered I was there but had forgotten about Marilyn.  In a very loud whisper Charles asked "Hey Mike...why is there women's jewelry on our counter?"  Marilyn and I cracked up. 

Such was life with Mike and Charles.  I am certain there will be more stories later (I didn't even mention The Commodores yet!), but that will suffice for today.  Charles left comments yesterday, so I know he is reading; I hope Michael is too.  We love you guys- you are truly youth group Hall of Famers!

Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/05/2010

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep writing 'em and I hope you keep reading them! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!