Monday, October 24, 2011

Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction #1

When you work for a church- and especially if you happen to serve the church as a Youth Pastor- the true stories of the things that happen around you are often stranger than any fiction you could write.  Today I want to share one such story with you.  It first appeared on another of my blogs this past May.


Lost And Found in Concert
I was serving a church in Florida when I arranged to bring the great band Lost And Found to that church for the second time.  The were coming in early October, and there was great excitement around their visit.  The excitement was soon tempered by a series of hurricanes that caused us to cancel Sunday services twice in three weeks, thus putting quite a strain on church finances.  Being friends with the band, I explained our situation and they told me I could mail them a check in a week or two later.  Not only that, but because their travel costs had been less than expected, they wanted to knock $500 off of their fee.  It was an awesome gesture on their part.  They came, played a killer show, and everything went off without a hitch.  Until...


Several weeks later, after we had payed them, the Chairman of the church Finance Committee came to my office.  He had the contract for the concert and a copy of the check we had mailed them.  He seemed to be accusing me of wrong-doing, but I could not make any sense of his words.  It soon dawned on me that was because his words made no sense.  Since the check had been written for $500 less than the original contract called for, he thought I had done something wrong.  I explained the situation to him, but he would hear none of it.  He was from the business world and simply could not believe that we had renegotiated the contract with a handshake.  We called the band's management, and they explained the situation as well- and he would hear none of it.  He seemed to think that the band and I were in cahoots in some grand scheme- that had saved the church $500.  He ranted, raved, and moved our "discussion" to the Senior Pastor's office- where my boss proceeded to throw me under the bus and tell me I needed to make this right.  I was laughing.  I had saved the church $500, and now I needed to "make it right."  So over my protests- and the protests of the band- the church sent them a check for $500.  It was money they would have loved to have back a year later.  The next time I ran into to George and Michael (they're the guys in the band) they were like, "Dude!  What's up with that wacky church?"  But by then that story seemed pretty tame.  Life working for a church is often nothing short of bizarre.  Truth really is stranger than fiction...


Because of Jesus,

3 comments:

  1. Ha...Craziness! If I didn't know you better, Carl, I'd think this was just an urban myth. But, I also know how kooky people can get about church money.

    I needed that good laugh this morning. Blessings on you, my dear friend! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Angie. And trust me, I WISH it was a myth! Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its those kind of things that the average "church goer" does not see or have to deal with. Most people probably showed up, had a great time at the concert, and didn't think another thing of it. Thank you for these kind of stories because it always encouraging to me to know others have dealt with similar things :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!