Monday, October 3, 2011

Dream A Little Dream With Me

Everyone has dreams.  Over the past several years it has become quite fashionable to compile a "Bucket List" - a list of things that you want to see, do or accomplish before you die. I think it's a great idea- in fact, I'm working on one myself that I hope to share with you all soon. But today I want to share one very small dream, how I was reminded of it yesterday, and how I intend to make it come to pass.


My family and I went shopping yesterday afternoon and made a stop at the local Sam Ash Music Store.  Will needed some drum sticks- and he wanted to play around on the $7000 electric drum kit they had set up in their "drum room."  While he was wailing away there, I walked around their room full of acoustic guitars.  As I looked around, I discovered a wall full of Ovation guitars.  I have always wanted an Ovation.  I once had a knock-off version called an Applause, but I never got my Ovation.  As I starred at a particularly nice dark brown model, I found myself thinking that owning an Ovation needed to go on my bucket list.  And thinking about a new guitar led me straight to a thought I had not had in years - and it's this dream that I am going to start work on today.


I never really talked about it much, but for years I dreamed of recording a live album.  Not because I thought anyone would want to buy it; actually quite the opposite!  I wanted a recording of myself leading a live audience singing some of my favorite old camp songs from my days at Quaker Lake.  What I wanted was to capture the energy and love of a group singing those great old songs and to be able to hear over and over again how amazing it is to stand in front of a group and listen to them sing praises to God.  I thought about recording songs like The All Day Song, Create In Me, Seek Ye FirstHe's Alive, Walking In the Light, Let My Light Shine Bright, In His Name and many more.  But that's not all.  I also wanted to record some of the silly songs that Alan Brown and myself used to preform to entertain the camper at QLC.  Songs like The Animal song, Roll Over Lucy and of course, Blue Pick-Up Truck.  I never fulfilled this dream because at the time I had no access to recording equipment.  Now everyone has recording equipment- and I have no audience.


I do not know how I will make this dream come true. I just know that in that moment in the music store yesterday, I was overcome with the feeling that this is something I need to work towards.  Not just dream about, but do.  I started praying last night for wisdom in how to go about this mission.  I know that this is a selfish dream, one that is really of benefit to only myself.  Despite this truth, I ask for your prayers.  At some point in the future, I may ask for your help.  I have learned over the past 5 years that there are many things I can do alone, but shouldn't.  This is something I simply cannot do alone.  I'm going to need a crowd.  I'm going to need you.


So I'm off to get this party started.  Step One: I've got to start playing the guitar more often.  My fingers are soft.  I have probably forgotten how to play a few (but ONLY a few!) of those old songs.  There is work to be done.  The dream is alive.


Because of Jesus,

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/03/2011

    I want 2 tickets for the concert, front row center. And you have to sing "Radical Man." :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Carl! I used to lead camp singing and can easily recall those songs. I'd be happy to be in your audience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lyn and Anonymous. You both get front row center! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10/03/2011

    It's so funny you posted this today... an old Quaker Kids Club song has been stuck in my head for a week! Magic Penny! "Love is something if you give it away, give it away, give it away... love is something if you give it away you end up having MORE...." your turn! HAHA!

    Love Ya!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's just like a magic penny, hold it tight and you won't have any. Lend it, spend it and you'll have so many that they'll roll all over the floor, for... Front row seats for you too, Marie!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!