Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Visit With Dad

Today would have been my Dad's 77th birthday.  He passed away in 2006, and as I have written here before not a day goes by that I don't think about him.  Yesterday, as I was thinking about how I wanted to honor his memory here on the blog, I began to ponder a question.  What would Dad and I be talking about if he were still here?  What were his favorite things? So without further adieu, here are topics that would have filled our conversation today.  I hope they give you some insight into the man I loved so much.


We would have been talking about Walt Disney World.  There is no doubt that we would have met he and my Mom at WDW either this past weekend or this coming weekend, and in any case he and Mom would have been going today.  They would have gone to visit his favorite character, Goofy- and Dad would have been wearing one of his many Goofy t-shirts.  They would have had lunch at The San Angel Inn, Mama Melrose's, Beaches & Cream or one of their other favorite places.  At some point, he would have gotten a beer at the Rose & Crown Pub at the UK Pavilion in Epcot, then settled down to listen to some music across the way in the garden.  He may be doing that anyway- a part of him was sprinkled outside the pub.  And we would have had his big birthday meal somewhere on site.  We loved eating at WDW.  Actually, Dad loved everything at WDW.


We would have been talking about football.  Dad played, coached and watched his entire life, and our conversations were seldom just about who won or who played well.  We talked strategy and the deeper "Xs and Os" of the game.  This particular day we would have been speaking in awe of the Georgia Tech option offense and how it ran all over our beloved UNC Tar Heels.  We would have been complaining about not being able to watch our Tampa Bay Bucs due to the NFL blackout policy.  We would have been thrilled that Tom Brady threw 4 interceptions on Sunday.  And we would have told old war stories about his days coaching the Guilford College Steelers youth footballs teams, and about their 3 city championships.  And when the football talk was done, he would have lamented the plight of his Atlanta Braves, now so close to falling out of the playoffs.  Maybe he can pull them through from his current home...


We would have talked about our favorite TV programs.  Dad loved great sitcoms like Seinfeld, Taxi, Friends, Fraiser and WKRP in Cincinatti.  I have no doubt that he would absolutely LOVE The Big Bang Theory, and that Sheldon Cooper would have joined his pantheon of favorite characters, along with Joey Tribbiani, Dr. Johnny Fever and Rev. Jim Ignatowski.  No doubt we would have recapped last week's season opener of TBBT.


He would have told me where he was playing golf tomorrow.  He played most every Wednesday with a group of guys from his community.  Dad was a pretty good golfer, who did have a hole-in-one in his 60s.  But he just loved to play.  His blood pressure was always lower after a round of golf.


And finally, we would have talked about his only grandchild, Will.  This would have taken a while, because he wanted to know everything, every detail of what was going on in Will's life.  I have written it before, and I said at his memorial service, but it is the truth.  My Dad was a very, very, very good father.  But he was a GREAT grandfather!  I know he is so proud of who the little boy he knew has become as a teenager.


So Happy Birthday, Dad!  I love you and miss you, and I miss talking with you about life.  I know everyone has a different idea of what heaven is like, but for you I have a feeling there's an Irish Pub with lots of big screen TVs.  Celebrate in style today.  And if you can pull any strings up there, could you arrange for the Orioles to finish sweeping the Red Sox and change the NFL rules back to a time when hitting the QB was legal?  I'd appreciate it.  :)  


Because of Jesus,

7 comments:

  1. Jason Huffman9/27/2011

    Thanks for sharing, Carl. I loved this post. Looking forward to meeting him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/27/2011

    Nice tribute, Carl. Except for the 'beloved Tar Heels' part, I think I would have liked your Dad.
    Hal

    ReplyDelete
  3. He would have liked you too, Hal. He even liked Jim Calhoun... Hope you and your family are well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/27/2011

    Sounds like an amazing guy to hang out with. I'm with Jason- hope he's saving a table for us at the Pub. - Chris Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, your dad certainly sounds like a really fantastic guy! I share a like of WKRP in Cincinnati with him! I used to watch that show and M*A*S*H regularly. :) Thank you for sharing him with us. Best wishes to you and your family on this special day of celebrating his life and the memories you share of him. :)

    Kindest regards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/27/2011

    Carl,
    I said when Billy Bazemore died that people we love are never really gone. We see them in who we become and they shape our lives. I would not be the same person had it not been for folks like Billy and my own wonderful father, who I am grateful every day that I get to spend time with him and he gets to be very active in Reid's life. Your father will be immortal through your life and influence on others because of his influence on you. And sharing these stories makes me feel as though I knew him as well. Thank you for a sharing about this wonderful man! You made my day.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Marie. And you are so right. People like Billy and my Dad change our lives and we are never the same- and then they live on in us. Thanks so much for that reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!