Monday, September 19, 2011

Hall of Fame: The Godwin Triplets

Back in the late 1980s our award-winning TNT program at Springfield Friends Meeting brought in all kinds of students from all over High Point, Archdale, Trinity and beyond, and helped turn our youth ministry into "the place to be."  Many of them attended other churches on Sunday morning, but found a second home with us for youth events and trips.  Among my favorites from that category were a set of twins- Shelley & Jeremy Godwin.  Today I would like to give them a long overdue welcome to my Youth Group Hall of Fame.


Shelley in NYC telling me NOT to take her picture!
Shelley was a part of the "terrific trio" that also included fellow Hall of Fame members Heather Beggs and Keri Vinson.  Shelley joined us for many youth events over the years, and traveled with us to New York, Walt Disney World and various retreats at Quaker Lake.  But far and away her most memorable adventure with us was the 1989 trip to Myrtle Beach, SC.  She was already at the beach with her family the week before our trip.  Our rental of Betsy B began on a Saturday, but we could not leave until after church on Sunday morning.  So my wife Marilyn drove down on Saturday, met Shelley, and the two of them spent the night in the Betsy B by themselves.  Two of them in a house that sleeps 45.  I am certain there are stories about that night I still don't know (or want to), but I do know that Shelley ranks high the list of my wife's all-time favorite youth.  As that week moved along, Shelley etched herself into youth group history by coining the phrase "Total Babe."  Discovering who was (and was not!) a total babe became the overwhelming theme of the week.  She also developed the character of Dori, the gnarly cousin of our resident valley girls and boys.  After being rudely awakened early one morning she assassinated Mike Mercadante with a squirt gun.  I have all of this on a video tape that will one day have everyone involved begging me NOT to show it to their kids!  Just that trip alone would be enough to get Shelley in the HOF, but there was so much more.  She was a huge part of our youth family, loved by everyone.  Shelley Godwin Kirby is most deserving of a spot in my Hall of Fame.  I'm betting she's a Hall of Fame wife and mother as well.


Jeremy at Myrtle Beach
Jeremy was never around quite as much as his sister, but his impact was great.  I have written here before that watching him win the NC state heavyweight wrestling championship his senior year is the single most exciting sporting event I have ever seen in person- to this day!  He traveled with us to Atlanta for a Braves game.  He (along with Shelley and few others) joined Marilyn and I at a Billy Joel concert in Charlotte.  After graduation, he helped chaperon a Myrtle Beach trip.  But Jeremy's signature trip was the 1990 Floridays trip to WDW.  One of my favorite moments ever was riding Mr. Toad's Wild Ride with Jeremy over and over again just before midnight, our two giant bodies crammed in a single car as the cast members laughed hysterically.  It was also the trip where he, Ken Hill, Danny McCorquodale & Jamie Robinson managed to produce the worst smelling room I have ever encountered- and I've encountered a lot!  I saw Jeremy last year when he was in Florida on business, and it so good to visit with him again. His wife, Laura, has a blog that has quickly become one of my favorites.  I love following the exploits of his family.  Jeremy, welcome to the HOF.


Stinky leaves comments- how about you?
So who is the third Godwin triplet?  There was a reason that bad smells seemed to accompany Jeremy everywhere he went- and that reason was Stinky the Pootapotomous.  This little stuffed beast traveled with Jeremy, and took the brunt of the blame for every bad odor that befouled those vans and motel rooms.  Stinky became a legend, and he still lives with the Godwin family today.  I got see him when Jeremy was here.  Jeremy's wife Laura provided me a current picture; as you can see he has EXCELLENT taste in blogs.  I could not let this opportunity pass without giving Stinky his own very (and heavily perfumed!) spot in my Hall of Fame.


So there you have.  One family, three different paths to my Hall of Fame.  Thanks for the memories, Godwins.  Know that you will be forever in our hearts- or in Stinky's case, our noses...


Because of Jesus,

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to start a Monday! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your help, Burdie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9/19/2011

    Too funny! Thanks for the memories! - Shelley Godwin Kirby via Facebook

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!