Thursday, September 22, 2011

CCM Thursday: Third Day Top 10

Way back in 1996 I sat in my office at FUMC-Kissimmee and opened my latest box of goodies from Interlinc, the great music ministry that I always counted on to keep me up to date with the latest in Christian music and videos.  Every time I received a box from them it was like Christmas morning had arrived early.  On this particular occasion, one of the CDs I received had a picture of a bus on the front, and the words Third Day.  Something about the cover art caught my eye, and I immediately popped this unknown band into my office stereo system.  The first song grabbed my attention.  The second song- Forever (see video at bottom) - just blew me away!  I was hooked on Third Day, and I have never looked back.


Over the years I have seen Third Day perform live on several occasions.  I once sat on stage while they performed at a National Youth Workers Convention (bring back the "Peanut Gallery," YS!) and guitarist Mark Lee and lead vocalist Mac Powell came over and visited with us.  I later ate lunch with them in Pittsburgh- well, we ate in the same restaurant!  :)  But mostly, I have loved their music, and used many of their songs for programs and lessons.


So here are my choices for a Third Day top 10. There are so many great songs to choose from;  I feel certain I will have left out some favorites.  There are 4 songs on the list from their first album- and there could have been more.  It's one of my favorite albums ever!  Please feel free to add yours in the comment section.  I didn't include any songs that were not originally done by the band, such as God of Wonders and songs from the 2 Offerings projects- even though I love those songs so much.  From their early "hey they sound like Hootie & the Blowfish!" days to their current status as CCM royalty, their faithfulness to making great music in the name of Jesus has never waivered.  We "Gomers" thank you very much.  Now let the debating begin!


10)  40 Days  (From the 2001 album Come Together) - Classic southern rock with a message.  One of my "go-to" pull me out of a funk songs.
  9)  Thief  (From the 1996 album Third Day)  - One of the great Good Friday songs ever written, told from the perspective of one of the thieves crucified with Jesus.  Awesome.
  8)  Don't Give Up Hope (From the 2010 album Move) - "Don't give up faith, don;t give up hope, there;s always something better waiting around the corner..."
  7)  I've Always Loved You (From the 1999 album Time) - They've always had the unique ability to write songs from the perspective of Jesus.  Love this song.  
 7+)  My Hope Is You (From the 1997 album Conspiracy #5) - A simple truth told in song.  My only hope is Jesus.
  6)  Revelation (From the 2008 album Revelation
  5)  Show Me Your Glory  (From the 2001 album Come Together) - How can you listen to this song and not want to worship God?  "Send down your presence, I want to see Your face..."
  4)  Love Song  (From the 1996 album Third Day)  - Hearing Jesus sing, "Just to be with you I'd do anything; there's no price I would not pay" still brings tears to my eyes.  A beautiful, haunting love song from our Savior.
  3)  Consuming Fire (From the 1996 album Third Day) - "1,2,3,4,5,6..."  Chill bumps every single time.  My favorite Third Day song to hear live, and one of the great modern worship songs.  There's an awesome live rendition on Offerings 1.
  2)  Forever (From the 1996 album Third Day) - My very first favorite Third Day song is still might close to the top of my list.  Check out the lyrics on the video below.  Incredible.
  1)  Cry Out To Jesus (From the 2005 album Wherever You Are) - An amazing song that speaks to everyone.  No matter how dark the night, no matter how deep the valley, Jesus is always there.  As hard as it was to pick a Top 10, picking #1 was actually pretty easy for me.  A brilliant song.


So there you have it.  Enjoy the video, and let me know which of your favorite songs I missed.  Blessings to you all!





3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/22/2011

    Come Together was always one of my favorites, but I agree completely with your #1. Good list, great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing band and that is one heck of a top 10 list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blackbird is my favorite! Great list! My youth laugh at the number of Third Day items I own!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!