Thursday, September 8, 2011

How Am I Doing? (Comment Day #5)

You know those bumper stickers that ask the question, "How am I driving?" and then give you a 1-800-Call-Now number so you can comment on their skills and their manners?  That is exactly what the COMMENT section is for on a blog.  It is the reader's opportunity to connect with the author, and it is very important to us.  Speaking for myself, I want to know how I'm doing.  I want to know which posts connect with your spirit, your soul or your funny bone.  Every comment is meaningful and brings a smile to my face- in fact I consider each one to be a gift.  Getting a comment is like opening a Christmas present- full of joy and excitement!  And I think this is true for most bloggers.  Yet this blog is visited by an average of around 275 people a day, and the comments are often few and far between.  I know of others who get far more visits and even fewer comments. And that is why I dreamed up Comment Day.  It is a day to be intentional about leaving comments- not just here, but on every blog you read today.  Even if it just to say "thanks," I hope this day will inspire you to leave a note for the writers of the blogs you enjoy.


There are a few million people around the world who write blogs on a regular basis.  I am connected with maybe 200 of those writers, and I regularly read around 30 posts a day.  On Comment Day I try to double my reading and leave a comment on each and every one.  If we will all play along, this can be a day of great encouragement and enthusiasm for bloggers everywhere.  If you would like to read along with me, there is a list of blogs on the lower right side of this page that you should check out.  I will also tweeting blog links all day today to help push this along.


So enjoy your day, and give your favorite bloggers a "virtual hug" by leaving them comments.  There are lots of ways to share the love of Jesus with others, and encouragement is one of the best.  Now get out of here and go read some more blogs!  But not before leaving me a comment...  (and yes Lisa J- that means you too!)  :)


Because of Jesus,

20 comments:

  1. First!

    I do my blog reading via Google Reader which means I don't get to see the comment box. That's not saying that I shouldn't click through more. :-) I also don't read everyday, sometimes I'm a week behind.

    Always enjoy the stories and the thought provoking material CJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, James! I appreciate your early morning enthusiasm- and your faithful reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been on a bit of a blogging hiatus since life offline got busy, also work! But recently started blogging again and catching up with other peoples blogs.

    Hope you are doing good CJ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. CJ- I have such a large smile on my face!! You remind me of the NYC mayor from the 70's/80's; he'd walk around asking "How'm I doing?". I think I'll call you the new ED KOCH. Thanks for sparking new connections within our corner of the blogosphere!! Blessings, :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ed Koch, huh? I will take that as a compliment- although it is a bit questionable! :) I can still remember back when he hosted SNL! Thanks for your blog and thanks for participating- and you too, Phil and Beth! You guys are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY COMMENT DAY!!!
    Thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving some comment love. :)
    P.S. Are you familiar with Google Buzz? If you sign in and use it, a "Buzz" tab will appear on your Google+ profile. :) Just another way to share blog posts. :)
    I hope you and your family are having a beautiful day in God's amazing grace. :)
    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9/08/2011

    Hey Big C, As you know, I read your blog all the time, but don't comment often enough. I always enjoy it. You have a way of knocking it out of the park in so many of your blogs. Thank you for the posts -- they are a blessing.

    All the best,

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the record, I think you're doing pretty well! :D Thanks for initiating this whole Comment Day thing, I think it's a great way to get the blogging community together and interacting more- a good way to encourage bloggers to be less inward-focused and more focused on eachother and whatnot :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Brook, Tom and Todd- I feel overwhelmingly encouraged today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Comment Day! I'm happy to be taking part today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Comment Day!! I love the idea. I will make a point of visiting blobs after work today and commenting. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! We all need to comment more. I use Google reader, but through Firefox with an app called Better G Reader, which lets you click on the post and get the comment box right in your reader. I pair this with Easy Comment app, that auto fills the info boxes for you.
    Even with all that to make comment easier, I don't do it nearly enough. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9/08/2011

    OK OK I get the hint. Here is my first comment.
    You are doing a great job and you make me laugh many a days. I am glad we are back in touch.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad the Comment Day idea is catching on! I love reading all of your blogs. And Lisa, I am so proud of you! Whoo-hoo! And I am SOOOOO glad we have reconnected too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your encouragement Carl and the reminder of what the comments mean.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Caitlin E9/08/2011

    I always look forward to reading your blog! I never know if I'm going to laugh, become a little nostalgic or learn something new about you and your life. A lot of times it's the only sermon I "listen" to on Sundays! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Caitlin, it is old friends like you who I KNOW are reading that had kept me going when I do not want to write. You're the best, and I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks CJ! I have been trying to leave more comments b/c I know how much I appreciate them. Keep up the good work. I plan to be a regular reader. Gob Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I missed comment day...had a busy day yesterday and I've kinda been out of the blog writing this week with a crazy schedule. But love your blog and love your life stories and your practical ideas and experiences in Youth Ministry. One day we need to talk and actually catch up beyond twitter and comments. Thank you again for sharing your past.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eric, I would love nothing better than to have a "real" conversation somewhere down the road! I remember those crazy schedules, so don't sweat missing some time in blog world. It will be her waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!