Saturday, September 10, 2011

One Amazing Day

From Back:  Bob McGalliard, Mark Farlow, Elizabeth Hyde, Dan Moran,
Kathy Semmler, Me, Carl Semmler, Mark Hyde, Alan Brown, Martha Farlow,
Beth McGalliard, Marilyn Jones, Lisa Moran, Denise Langley,
Steve Semmler, Andy Maynard and Donna Myers.
In early May of 2006 my family traveled to Greensboro, NC to hold a memorial service for my father.  He passed away in Leesburg, FL on February 15 and had been cremated.  That was his wish.  He also had always said that he didn't want a funeral or any other type of sad gathering.  If there was to be a service, he wanted a celebration of life, filled with laughter and joy.  Dad had always lived life to its fullest; he wanted to go out the same way.  My Mon's first inclination had been to do nothing at all, but after some convincing she agreed to do a memorial service at New Garden Friends Meeting, back in Greensboro where they had lived for so many years.  We decided to wait until May to give Dad's 3 sisters, 2 brothers and all of their families- who are spread out all over the country- a chance to make plans if they wanted to attend.  We didn't do any formal "publicity;" we hoped friends in the Greensboro area would find out by word of mouth.  I would be in charge of the service- in other words, I would facilitate the story telling.


The day of the event arrived, and I knew right from the beginning it was going to be special day.  My dear friend and former youth, Teresa Reep Tysinger, now lived in my old stomping grounds, but she had other commitments and could not attend the service.  Instead, she met me for breakfast at one of my favorite places in the world, Tex & Shirley's Pancake House.  We had an amazing visit, and I already felt much better about what lay ahead.  Early afternoon we arrived at New Garden and were met by my old pastor David Bills, still serving that Meeting after nearly 35 years.  We did a little set-up of the worship room and then waited to see who might arrive.  Slowly but surely the crowd poured in.  It was clear from the start that this would be a group that knew my Dad from every aspect of his life.  His brothers and sisters and their children and grandchildren were there to say goodbye to Billy- or Uncle Billy.  My Mom's 3 sister and their families were there to say goodbye to Jonesy.  People from the Guilford College community were there to say goodbye to Coach Jones.  Neighbors, former co-workers and other friends- including all of Marilyn's family, Dad's old college football coach, and many of my friends, former youth and parents- were there to say goodbye as well.  My Mom was there not to say goodbye, but to soak in the love so many had for her husband.  And Marilyn, Will & I were there to say goodbye to PawPaw.  


The service was conducted after the manner of Friends (Quakers), which means I said a few opening words of welcome and instruction and then invited the crowd to join us in a time of silence, feeling free to share stories of my Dad anytime they wanted to.  And people did.  So many stories of his love and influence in the lives of so many.  It was incredible.  But the real "show stopping" moment came when the then 11 year old Will Jones took a microphone and sang along with a CD of one of his favorite songs at the time, dedicated to his PawPaw and best friend.   The lyrics of the song were remarkably appropriate.  He made it most of the way through the song before he broke down- most of us didn't make it that far.  It was a moment I will never forget; some of my friends still talk about it in amazement.  You can hear Steven Curtis Chapman's version of the song below, with pictures of Will and my Dad.  I recommend at least 3 tissues...

After the service, I continued to be amazed at how many of my friends from my days in Greensboro were there.  All of that crowd (see picture at top, from that day) were invited back to Beth and Bob McGalliard's home for a chance to hang out together- many of us for the first time in a very long time.  It seemed so appropriate.  My Dad loved those people so much, and they had always loved being around him.  He was there with us in spirit, and we all knew it.


The day ended with a dinner put together by Cynthia Brewer, class president of my Western Guilford High School class of 1977 (yes I am that old!).  It was great to see a few of my old high school chums again, although I can freely admit now that I (along with Marilyn and Steve Semmler) would much rather have hung out at Beth & Bob's all night.  Still, it was a great finish to an amazing day.  Mom was happy with the whole thing, and I know Dad was too. I headed back to Waycross feeling like we had "done good" for my Dad.  I still miss him every day.  But it is always a comfort to remember his life and all of the love, laughter and shared memories of that One Amazing Day.


Because of Jesus,

4 comments:

  1. What a gift to be able to have wonderful memories of that day celebrating your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/10/2011

    hugs for you, sounds like it was really an amazing day. s.e.b.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9/10/2011

    WIll's PawPaw seemed like a great man. How can you not like a man who loves Disney. Glad you have good memories.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, my friends. He was indeed a wonderful man. And Lisa, a part of him is STILL at EPCOT...ask me about that sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!