Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday Shout Outs!

Greetings and Salutations (or as we say in good ole NC, "Howdy Ya'll!") and welcome to another edition of Saturday Shout Outs!  We've got lots of ground to cover and a lot of people to shout out at to, so let's get started!


*  Today is my son Will's 16th birthday.  Hard to believe, huh?  He and his mom went to Disney World yesterday to celebrate, and today he is practicing with his high school drumline all day.  For those who haven't heard, he made snare drum for this upcoming season.  We'll do a big dinner tonight and see Harry Potter 7.5 after church and Moe's tomorrow, so we're just making a weekend of celebrating!  Please feel free to leave him birthday wishes in the comment section at the bottom of the page.  He's a great kid and I could not be more proud of him!!!
*  Amber Herrick (FUMC-Kissimmee) is the proud new owner of a house in the Nashville, TN area.  The date for the house warming party to which we will all be invited has yet to be set...
*Ashley Goad Broadhurst (Springfield Friends Meeting) began a new chapter in her life this week as she took over as the administrator of Solar Under the Sun, a ministry of the Presbyterian Church.  To learn more abut what Ashley is up to, check out their website at http://www.solarunderthesun.org/default/ or follow them on Twitter @solarundersun.  Most importantly, being praying for Ashley and this great ministry.
Lisa & I in NYC, 2003
*  Marilyn and I have had a blast over the past couple of weeks reconnecting (and eating!) with our dear friend Lisa Jewett (Wesley Memorial UMC).  It was 5 years in-between visits, but it's like nothing ever changed.  I am SOOO happy to have Lisa back in my life, and so thankful to have so many friends who love us no matter what!  You guys are the best!
*  Keep praying for all of our pregnant youth group alumni!  Jennifer Minnigan Kuramochi, Lisa Kraus Spires, Erin Augenblick Shannon and Lindsey Joiner Bennett (all FUMC-K) would appreciate it! And if you know of others please let me know!
*  I've passed 1,525 Twitter followers now, and I have met some great people along the way.  I'm talking about you, Jason Huffman and Angie Battle!
*  I have started messing around with the new Google+ social network and have already hooked up with friends like Jamie Robinson (Springfield), Brook Teoli Phelps (FUMC-K), Christie Weatherby, Cindy Holmon and Eric Hendrickson (Twitter).  If you are giving it a try, look me up.  I go by the alias "Carl Jones."  Tricky, huh?  :)
*  I've been trying to make lunch plans with Travis Aiken (Wesley Memorial) and maybe even Philip Meile (also WMUMC, and I'm guessing at his last name- never did learn how to spell it.  He even goes by Philip M on Facebook.  Maybe he doesn't know either...).  I do love connecting with former students!
*  It sounds like I will get to visit with Wayne & Janet Cook (FUMC-K) in a couple of weeks when they come down to St. Pete for some vacation.  Wayne pastors a church up in the Panhandle these days.  Always love to talk "church" with Wayne...
*  And finally, I'm taking a little survey.  What is your favorite animated Disney film, not counting the Pixar stuff?   Mine is The Lion King.  Please leave yours in a comment!


So there we go.  Hope you are all well and that you have a great weekend.  See you tomorrow when I tell you the Parable of the Grape...


Because of Jesus,

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/16/2011

    I love reading your Shout Outs. It am always amazed at how much you keep up with students who long ago aged out of your youth ministry. When you write about youth work being all about relationships, you mean it, don't you? I wish I could have been one of your students. Many blessings and happy birthday to your son. OH...Beauty and the Beast! :P - Carrie Ann Nash

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY WILL!!! I am so jealous that you are on the drum line and I am not! :) Also, I love that you are getting to celebrate your birthday for three days! I usually try to have a birth-month celebration but it never works out that great. Everyone usually fizzles out on me.

    Carl, you are on of the funniest people I have never met. I hope to remedy that. (The never met part, not the funniest people part. I am just clarifying because I don't want you to think that I am concocting a plan to take you out so I can climb the funniest person ladder.)

    I love Mulan. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carrie Ann, that is so sweet. I am sure I wish you had been in one of my youth groups too! And Christie, of all the people I know, you are one of them! :) I have no doubt that when we do finally get together it will be to laugh ourselves to death. And Mulan rocks. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EpcotJenny7/16/2011

    Happy Birthday to Will! :) And I agree with you, my favorite is The Lion King!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi CJ!

    Its so very difficult to choose just one Disney flik to be Number One, but I suppose I'd have to go with the film that started it all... Snow White! When you watch and remember that it was all done by hand -- no computers -- it is truly breathtaking and amazing!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true, Kathy. For all Disney fans, Snow White will always be special and amazing. But I'll stick with Jenny, Timon and Pumba! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7/16/2011

    A very happy birthday to Will. I can not believe he is sixteen already!!! Will the roads be safe (probably safer than when my girls started to drive hehe) and by far besides for the mouse who started it all the BEST animated film is Song of the South with B'rer Rabbit and B'rer Bear!!! Might even have a copy or two!!! anon. so i dont get arrested for having a copy but i am sure you know who i am carl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7/16/2011

    Carl,
    So funny that so many FUMC friends are pregnant right now. Laura (Drapkin) Croft is also expecting a little Nathaniel on or about August 4. I'm sure she and Charlie would appreciate your prayers.
    Hugs to Will on his birthday!
    Jill Watson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by Dr. Jill! We will certainly be praying for Laura and family. And Anonymous (Song of the South fan) I have a guess as to who you are- and I promise not to turn you in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7/16/2011

    LOVE this!! love all your shout outs!! You are too young to have a 16 yr old!! but congrats to him!!

    fave disney....Fox and hound

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Tracee, and an awesome underrated choice with Fox and the Hound. Todd and Copper ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7/16/2011

    Happy birthday to your son! No love for Aladdin? That's still my favorite! JB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7/18/2011

    Happy belated Birthday Will! May your year be filled with driving and movies, but not at the same time. That's just an accident waiting to happen. Although you could go to Fun-lan Drive-In on Hillsborough, I'm just saying.

    -Jen and Jun K.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!