Friday, July 29, 2011

"I Stand Amazed In the Presence..."


When you're done here, be sure and visit my guest post over at http://www.sundijo.com/  It will be up sometime today!

I am old enough that I have spent more of my life singing from hymnals than from video screens.  I have been in many more church services with organ music than I have with praise bands.  Needless to say, there are many of the great old hymns of the church that are near and dear to my heart.  One of the ones I find myself humming most often begins with the words, "I stand amazed in the presence of Jesus the Nazarene.  And wonder how He could love me, a sinner, condemned, unclean."  In fact, as I sat down to my keyboard to start writing, I found myself humming it again.  And I started to wonder.  How often do we really grasp the amazing love that Jesus came to bring us?  Do we really understand that it is only because of the grace given to us through the love of God whose name is Jesus that we do not remain "a sinner, condemned and unclean?"  How often do we really stand in His presence it total awe of what He has done for us?  For me, the answer is clearly "not often enough."


So today I ask you this question- when was a time that you stood "amazed in the presence?"  Was there a time when you were overwhelmed with awe and wonder at the majesty of our loving God?  Remember- and then share your experience in the comment section if you would like.  Then join me and sing along with the amazing chorus to this great hymn:

How marvelous! How wonderful!
And my song shall ever be
How marvelous!  How Wonderful!
Is my Savior's love for me?
                                                          

Because of Jesus,

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/29/2011

    I've been out of town and crazy busy this last week. I read your "Whine" post this morning and could totally relate. We're having an amazing summer, but I could use a little more God time. That sounds really ridiculous because it's ALL His time! Thanks for the reminder this morning - I really needed it. Wish I could meet you for lunch today......
    I am "amazed in the presence" EVERY time I look at the ocean and MOST of the time I look at my children. Ha!
    Remember we're reading even when we're not commenting.
    Love, Dr. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been numerous times where I have stood in amazement at the presence of God. The one time that stands out the most to me is, during High School(around grade 11) it was New Years Eve and I was talking to a friend that had been there for me as spiritual support for at least 4 years at this point. I must also mention that this friend lives 100 of Miles away, in Africa. On this night, we were IMing about the past and the future, just life in general. Then he told me he had to tell me something, what he told is that a year ago almost to that night he had an overwhelming feeling/notion that he should pray for me and ask God to watch over me. To his knowledge, at this time, my life was just swell because I had a hard time discussing the situation that I was in. At the time, I was dealing with a quite serious eating disorder from the stress due to the fact that I was loving in a friends basement because family situations were bad and I had been kicked out. The night that he felt the need to pray, was the night my sister informed me that I had to return to my Parents house. For a year I thought God had completely left me, and I was angered towards him. New Years Eve of my Grade 11 was also three months after I had found out my Father has stage 4 Cancer and my Mom was planning leaving him(which she did). This night was truly a breaking point, a massive turning point. He is my earthly angel. Life has become harder now, with leaving home, being on my own in the University life. I may not be in the spot I was 3 years ago, but I'm stil not letting go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment from Cindy Holman via Google+ today- "I was raised in an AG church so I know all the hymns on and off the organ :) Never cared for most of them - but the one you mentioned is very good. I also loved - "It is well with my soul" and "Great is thy faithfulness" some of them - not so great - like anything else - some good, some bad. I tend to be pretty progressive in my music choices - much to the dismay of my old fashioned parents. Being a music major in college and now a music teacher - I have a VERY WIDE genre of music that I draw from - mostly not Christian."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cindy, we share much of the same experience. I'm sorry my blog would not talk to you today. I promise we still love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7/29/2011

    This post touched my soul. I take so much for granted. Thank you for reminding me...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!