Thursday, July 14, 2011

CCM Thursday: The Late Great PFR

Back in early 2010 I did a countdown for this blog of the 50 Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) projects that had the most impact on my life and ministry (through 2007).  You can see that list here.  When I began the countdown I decided to leave off live albums and greatest hits collections.  In doing so, I chose to leave off one of my all time favorite projects, The Late Great PFR.  Today I want to share this classic collection with you.


PFR is a band that began as the group Pray For Rain in 1991, only to discover that an instrumental group already had claimed that name.  They shortened their name to PFR and became one of the most influential Christian bands of the mid-1990s.  I first encountered them at a National Youth Workers Convention in Nashville in 1995 and was blown away by their creative lyrics and awesome arrangements. I quickly bought all of their CDs and became a big fan.  In 1998 they announced they were breaking up and issued a greatest hits collection.  It is still easily one of my top 10 listened to albums.  It contained 13 classics and 3 brand new songs, and I love them all.  Songs like Great Lengths, Pray For Rain, AnythingWait For the Sun, Fare Thee Well and the classic Goldie's Last Day are staples on my I-pod.  For me, their vocal blend and creative songs made them the Beatles of CCM.  You can hear their biggest hit, That Kind of Love, by watching the video below.  If you don't know PFR, then you are missing out on some amazing music. They have gotten back together a couple of times since 2000, and still perform together.  But they will be hard pressed to ever top the songs featured on The Late Great PFR.  Here's the playlist:
1)  Great Lengths                              9)  Pray For Rain
2)  Pour Me Out                               10)  Wonder Why
3)  Name                                           11)  The Love I Know
4)  Walk Away From Love              12)  Do You Want to Know Love
5)  Forever                                        13)  Merry Go Round
6)  Anything                                     14)  That Kind of Love
7)  Spinnin' Round                           15)  Wait For the Sun
8)  Goldie's Last Day                        16)  Fare Thee Well


Have a blessed day, everyone- and don't forget to "pray for rain to come and wash away what has made you numb!"


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/14/2011

    My favorite PFR song is "Anything." Songs are just songs without God. "It doesn't mean anything without You." Thanks for the reminder of just how great this band is! - Katie P.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!