Monday, July 11, 2011

Hall of Fame: The Class of '09

Cullen & Colton
Normally I am not a fan of the word "potential."  I have seen too many times over the years when that word used to trap and place unrealistic expectations on people.  We all have the potential for improvement, and in that sense it is a great thing.  But is some cases- say, for instance, when a teenager is giving algebra her absolute best effort, but is weighed down by a parent's thought that she has the potential to be an "A" student- it can be quite a burden.  It seems we often fail to live up to our potential in the eyes on those who proclaim we have it...


Alex, Lexi & Ariel with "The Clause"
Having said all of that, when the Class of '09 arrived as 6th graders in the student ministry of Wesley Memorial UMC in August of 2002, I could not help but marvel at the potential they had to completely revitalize our ministry.  We had been lacking in 3 areas during my first year at WMUMC- leadership, enthusiasm and numbers.  This class had the potential to fix all three.  As a youth pastor, I could not help but be excited by this gang, which had been very active in the children's ministry.  I thought of all of them as having the potential to be in my Youth Group Hall of Fame someday.  There were just so many of them who would become the core of Graceland over the next three years.  Alexis Woods, Zach Wehr, Alexandra Smith, Cullen O'Brien, Matt Preston, Skyler Rogers, Ariel Ringo, Corie Champion, Colton Myers, Meagan Dennis, Richard Fenimore, Melissa Nelms and their friends simply transformed the group.  They hit the ground running and never stopped, bringing much needed energy.  Even the high school kids just stood back and watched in awe as "the wave" swept over us.


Zach, ???? & Matt in action!
They also brought leadership.  Alexis and Zach were incredibly spiritually mature right from the start, asking good questions, serving on mission trips and helping to involve their friends. Alexandra, Matt, Cullen and Skyler always kept me on my toes as well.   This group didn't just "show up" for Graceland; they thrived there.  By the time they were 8th grade students in the 2004-05 school year, they were the backbone of the ministry in many ways.


In the end, the long term potential of that talented group to completely change the student ministry of WMUMC was wasted, but that was my fault- not theirs.  I resigned (because I was asked to) in late May of 2005, so I did not get to spend the high school years with this bunch.  I have heard from a few of them, and had lunch with Zach (who I know reads this) and his girlfriend and mom a couple of months back- but most of them are no longer part of my life.  And I miss them.  I have no doubt that together we could have accomplished much, and so today I honor them- all of them- by inducting the entire WMUMC Class of '09 into my Youth Group Hall of Fame.  You are no longer just potential Hall of Famers- you are there.  Blessings to all of you!


Because of Jesus,

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/11/2011

    Kind of makes you realize how important the time you have together is, because none of us are promised tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your heart. -Kandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the induction Carl! And thanks for all the inspiration and memories that you produced for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure Zach- you're the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!