Friday, June 27, 2014

30/30: Three Songs

Today's 30/30 Vision Blog Challenge prompt was to write about three songs that bring back specific memories in my life. I decided as I prepared to write this post that these should also be songs that are still often on my mind. I also came to the conclusion that with the 3 songs I have chosen you really needed videos to help out, because none of these songs are exactly mainstream. So I present to you three songs ands three short stories. Enjoy!

The first song is the 1978 classic My Angel Baby from the ever-popular (Yes, that's sarcastic) band Toby Beau. It takes me back to Quaker Lake Camp, standing around the big industrial dishwasher after meals and singing with Martha Ratledge Farlow while we slaved away on all those dishes. I dearly love this song, but as it is not available on iTunes this video is currently my only way to hear it. And believe it or not, there was once a time when my falsetto could hit the note at the end. Sometimes. :)  So give it a listen...and maybe you'll be "My Angel Baby for the rest of the night..."





My second choice takes me back to my college days. In those days (and maybe still- I really don't know) Guilford College had a big "Spring Fling" weekend every year called Serendipity. One year the big entertainment was a group called The Robbin Thompson Band that none of us had ever heard of- but we went anyway. They were amazing! I bought their album (and now own the CD) that contained this song all about growing up in the 60's and 70's and loving the beach. And girls. Like most guys in their teens and early 20's much of my life revolved around girls, and so does this song. Every time I play it takes me back to Guilford and to many great days and nights spent at Myrtle Beach. I never owned a Candy Apple Red car; my parents did, however, own a Rambler. Not that it ever did me any good...



The final song in today's trilogy is one that I was introduced to by a friend a few years ago and immediately feel in love with. It's another love song, this time a Sister Hazel tune about never giving up hope and having the patience to wait on the people who are special to you. It makes this list , however, for a different reason. This song is a major "character" in the novel I am currently writing, and from this time forward it will always serve as a reminder of how much I have enjoyed the dreaming involved in putting this particular story to paper. Sometimes you just have to wait for the sun to Come Around...



So there you have it. Three great songs, three great memories. And quite possible my favorite 30/30 post to date. I hope listening will stir up a few memories for you as well. Have a great Friday and a blessed weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/27/2014

    Confession- I had never heard any of these songs before. 2nd confessions- I liked 2 out of 3. I'll let you guess, bro! ~Chris Cooper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you didn't like "My Angel Baby." It is an acquired taste. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!