Saturday, July 28, 2012

Saturday Shout Outs!

Greetings and Salutations, citizens of the world!  I am inspired to have a global vision today after watching every minute of the London Olympics opening last night (more details below!).  I hope you are all well today and ready for another edition of the Shout Outs!  Here we go...

  • Marilyn & Will remain in NC on vacation- headed up to Elkin today.  It is interesting to note that my lovely wife, former sun-goddess and professional tanner, traveled from Florida to NC in order to get sunburned- this according to Will.  Meanwhile,  the dog and I are having a good time, but I am so thankful for all of the great friends who have kept me busy and provided me entertainment. Conner takes walks with me and even helped me mow the lawn yesterday, but otherwise, I rely on the kindness of friends.  And as you will see, they are coming through with flying colors!  But don't let up now- I still have a week to go!
  • I cannot tell you how much fun I had Monday and Tuesday visiting with Ashley Goad Broadhurst (Springfield Friends Meeting).  I loved hearing about her work with Solar Under the Sun, talking church politics, old friends and student ministry.  And I can't wait to meet her hubby when they are back in Central Florida in October!!!
  • Ashley was also part of the excitement of the Olympics last night.  She and Ann Saunders Hale (Springfield) were part of a Twitter conversation before the ceremonies began.  Then Lisa Jewett (Wesley Memorial UMC), Teresa Reep Tysinger (FUMC-Kissimmee) and I texted throughout the broadcast.  And Will called to discuss.  Was the Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean)/Chariots of Fire bit the best or what???  And Sir Paul McCartney and 65,000 back-up singers doing Hey Jude was a perfect finish!
  • So many of my readers offered words of encouragement during my 24 hours of uncool.  I mean no air conditioning, The uncool part is still true!  :)  Thanks to all of you who cared.  I wish I could have seen you all to give you an extremely setting hug.  Sorry you missed out.
  • I really, reallly, REALLY wish they would have banned political commercials during the Olympics. It is so hard to celebrate the best in human achievement when it is interrupted every few minutes by stories of how rotten our two potential leaders are.  Two weeks of silence could have been so wonderful...
  • On Thursday, Jerry Hanbery (FUMC-K) came and took me to lunch.  We went to the Hibachi Buffet, and so Jerry joins Ashley, Lisa, Will and I on the list of people who think this is the greatest buffet in history. I many never get him to eat anyplace else in Tampa!  Book your reservations now!!!
  • Among the many people I have shared life with this week include Denise May, Jennifer Minnigan Kuramochi, Jeremy Godwin, Todd Willis, Jennifer Wood Jones, Cyndi Reep Browning, Joanne Gastler, Jill Painter Watson and Marie Allen.  And that is not even counting the wonderful friendships of so many people on Twitter who encourage and support me everyday!  As I wrote earlier this week, it is really very cool Being Me.
  • And although I have already mentioned her once, I would be remiss not to thank Lisa Jewett, my personal chauffeur and dinner partner.  She has taken me to dinner a couple of times and even took me grocery shopping yesterday.  And she will help me out even more in the week to come.  Lisa, you are a gem!!!
  • If you are an alumni of the FUMC-Kissimmee group, then be sure and mark your calendars for April 20-21, 2013.  The reunion dates are set.  Another planning meeting will be set for September, so stay tuned!
  • You may have read that I am playing the guitar everyday trying to get my fingers back in shape, and have been playing a lot of classic old youth group songs?  If you were going to make a request, what song would you want me to be practicing?  Text 8139193755!
So there you have it.  I hope to hear from many of you in the coming week as I continue to survive yet another episode of Just Me & the Dog.  Have a blessed weekend!


Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!