Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"Into Every Life a Little Rain Must Fall"

Over the past week I have been dealing with the sadness and frustration of the passing of my former youth Sally Hollingsed.  Sally lost her battle with cancer at age 31, and it just seems so blatantly unfair that one so young should be taken from us in such a horrendous way.  But we all know people we have lost way before we were ready to lose them.  The emotions I have felt reminded of the following episode in my own life from many years ago...


In the Spring of 1989 a group of us including myself, MarilynJeff Byrd and Doyle Craven got tickets to see Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith in concert in Chapel Hill, NC.  Amy was featuring songs from her Lead Me On album, while MWS was touring in support of his i 2 (Eye) project.  We were all so excited to go.  Plus, Doyle had a brand new Ford Probe he was dying to show off...

Our excitement turned to sorrow very quickly when we received word on the day of the show that our dear friend Penny Thomas had passed away.  Penny had worked at Quaker Lake Camp and had been very active in the youth programs of NC Yearly Meeting of Friends.  She had also worked with chronically ill children on the pediatrics ward at Duke Hospital. Penny had been very sick for a long time, and only a few days earlier we had been to Duke to see her.  Her passing was not unexpected, but it still hit us all very hard.  She was so young, so faithful and such a blessing to be around.  Her laughter was contagious, and she was loved by everyone who knew her. Doyle and Jeff had both been especially close to her.  We debated whether or not we should attend the concert, eventually deciding that there was nothing we could do at that point, and that Penny would want us to go. In so many ways, she went with us that night.

Even in our melancholy state of mind, the concert was excellent.  We all knew the music of the two artists so well, and we all shared one unspoken thought as the night went along.  One of the songs on Michael's most recent CD was called I Hear Leesha.  The song was about a young girl who had passed away, and it mourned her loss.  It also spoke of the hope Christians share that there is more to life that what we have on this earth.  The chorus says, "I hear Leesha singing in heaven tonight.  And in-between the sadness, I hear Leesha, telling me that she's alright."  I think secretly we all were praying that he would not sing it.  But he did.  As we looked at each other with tears flowing, I knew it was one of those moments in which Jesus was working in each of us.  I knew it was a feeling I would never forget. The song still gives me goosebumps...




A few days later I attended Penny's funeral.  Jeff Byrd sang at the service, and I have always thought it was one of the bravest things I have ever seen anyone do.  He was hurting, he was saddened, and he didn't really want to be doing it.  But he knew he had to.  Filled with the Holy Spirit, he sang beautifully and with passion, sharing both his love for Penny and his faith that Jesus had indeed "prepared a place for her."  

Being a follower of Christ is not all flowers and rainbows.  There are struggles, tragedies and moments of doubt and fear.  Every time I listen to I Hear Leesha I am reminded that "into every life a little rain must fall, and losing one you love is like a storm." I am also reminded that in the midst of the darkest parts of life, Jesus is there to give us light and life. The storms do pass.  And our loved ones- people like Penny and Sally- find comfort in a far better place. Thanks be to God...

Because of Jesus,

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for share this. I know the pain of losing a friend so young. Nothing makes it easy. It has been years since one of my best friends(and cousin) died. Sometimes I still cry like it was yesterday. I know we will see them again in heaven. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!