Monday, July 16, 2012

Happy Birthday, Will Jones!

Celebrating with Marilyn and the Hanbery family at Mama Melrose's yesterday
Today my son turns 17.  Before you ask, let me tell you a few things. No, I can't believe he is 17 already.  Yes, I do feel a little old.  And no, I could not be more proud of him.


Will has led a far from normal life.  His actual birth was more of an adventure than anyone can believe (click here for that story).  As a child growing up, his father (that would be me) was a youth pastor.  The cool part of that was growing up hanging out with some outstanding teenagers who loved him and taught him a lot about life. He got to do a lot of great things many kids never experience.  But he also had to move a lot. When he was 4 he moved from Kissimmee to Chicago, leaving behind friends and a set of grandparents who loved him more than anything.  Only 18 months later he was uprooted again, this time moving to Tampa.  Four years later a pastor with no heart and no guts fired his dad (deservedly) but then cut him off from all of his friends at the church by refusing to let him continue in the children's ministry. In that same year his very best friend, my Dad, passed away.  He finished 5th grade in Tampa, but then relocated again to Waycross. Georgia.  That year, while in so many ways a disaster in our lives, remains special to me, because is was to be the only year I was his father and his youth pastor.  After I messed up our lives completely in 2007, we moved back to Tampa. It occurred to me the other day that Will has now lived in this house for 5 years, longer than he had ever lived in one house before in his young life. He has had to put up with a whole lot of crap because of me. It would have been easy to become bitter, cynical and hard-hearted after all he has been through.  But instead...


Will is the best son ever. There I said it. The rest of you just have to get over it!  :)  His attitude towards life is both honest and refreshing.  He treats people both young and old with respect. He speaks his mind. He is a leader among his peer group and among his high school marching band. He is a great student. He listens to great old music (Springsteen, The Beatles, Andy Williams...yes, THAT Andy Williams!) on vinyl while introducing me to great modern bands like Fun and My Chemical Romance. He loves the same classic comedies (Young Frankenstein, Airplane) that I do, while having his own strong opinions about the movies of today.  He wears Ferris Bueller and Anchorman t-shirts. We can (and do) sit and talk forever about movies, music, TV and even politics.  Our family loves to eat together, laugh together, watch The Big Bang Theory & American Idol together-  and to worship together.  In short, we are blessed. And Will is a huge part of that blessing.


Will got his birthday celebration off to a great start this past weekend as he and Marilyn spent  time in Orlando with our great friends Jerry & Melissa Hanbery. They visited a couple of colleges, went to the Disney Hollywood Studios and had a great meal at Mama Melrose's Italian Restaurant. Today, he and I will no doubt have lunch at the Hibachi Buffet, and tonight his closest friends are throwing him a party.  There is no question in my mind that he will have a great day, because he refuses to let anything keep him down.  Ever!


Happy Birthday, Will Jones!  You are a great son, a great friend, and an outstanding young man.  I know God has great things in store for you, and I am so blessed to be a part of your life.  Enjoy your day.  And never forget this one basic truth- Jack Nicholson was the best Joker. I love you, buddy!


Because of Jesus,

4 comments:

  1. Such a heart felt post. Despite all you have been through, you have managed to raise a great Son. Not many fathers are around for their children today, and not many kids are free and out on the streets enjoying life, many are imprisoned, on drugs and in great pain. So well done. Happy Birthday Will from Rum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/16/2012

    Happy Birthday Will...You are loved, prayed for, and never to be forgotten in the lives of Nannie and UBD....Make thisa GREAT year.

    p.s. take care f mom and dad, you know how they are..."O, sweet little baby Jesus!"

    UBD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks UBD, I passed along your message to Will. And you will always be a big part of his life as well. Hugs to Nannie for us all, my friend!

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!