Monday, July 2, 2012

Politics & The Big Bang Theory

Thanks to Amy Nabors for sending me this great picture!
With the Supreme Court decisions on Arizona's immigration laws and the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare") last week I once again find myself watching people I know and love yell at each other from opposite sides of the political spectrum.  While I claim to have no insight (other than my own opinions) into who is right and who is wrong on these issues, I do know this- in politics, almost nothing is absolute.  Everything is open to interpretation.  One person's "Strategery" is another person's "brilliant leadership."  As I watched these heated battles take place all across the Internet and social media outlets, I could not help but be reminded of a scene from the brilliant CBS TV show, The Big Bang Theory.  In the episode The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation (2009), Dr. Sheldon Cooper has returned to his mother's home in Texas because he is mad at his friends Howard, Raj and Leonard because they embarrassed him in front of his colleagues.  The guys have gone after him at the request of Mrs. Cooper- because Sheldon is driving her crazy.  When they ask him to return to Pasadena with them, this conversation takes place...


Sheldon Cooper: I will spend the rest of my life here in Texas, trying to teach evolution to creationists. 
Mrs. Cooper: You watch your mouth, Shelly. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. 
Sheldon Cooper: Evolution isn't an opinion, it's fact. 
Mrs. Cooper: And that is your opinion!
Sheldon Cooper: [to the others] I forgive you. Let's go home. 
[leaves
Mrs. Cooper:  (with a sly smile) Don't tell me prayer doesn't work. 



We all have opinions. Those who sent Jesus to the cross of Calvary were certain they were right.  Those who opposed racial equality were absolutely sure that integration was wrong.  More often than not, the truth of any given situation lies somewhere between extreme viewpoints.  It is a good and noble thing to stand up for your opinions and the things that you believe. It is a better and nobler thing to be humble enough to admit that it is entirely possible that you may be wrong.  Check out The Beatitudes in Matthew 5.  One cannot be meek, one cannot be a peacemaker and one cannot be poor in spirit without be willing to listen to those with differing opinions.  I think Jesus would call on us all to undergo a serious attitude adjustment in the political discourse going on in our nation today.  He taught us to love one another, and I see precious little of that going on.  Of course that is just my OPINION.  And I just might be wrong.  BAZINGA!  


Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!