Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Revolution Lives- Out There!

If you are a regular reader of this particular blog then you know that I officiated the wedding of Joshua & Katherine Martin Guillen on 11/11/11 at North Reddington Beach, FL.  The ceremony took place on the beach outside of the Doubletree Resort at 4:30 PM, as the sun was beginning to set over the Gulf of Mexico.  It was a little chilly and a bit windy, but all-in-all a beautiful setting for a wedding.  There was no rehearsal before the event, but as I mentioned in the service that's actually perfect, because there is no rehearsal for married life either!  Everything went off without a hitch- or more accurately, with a hitch- because now they are hitched!  :)


So what does a beach wedding have to do with the Jesus Revolution?  Everything! As I performed the ceremony- reading from 1 Corinthians 13 and Matthew 19, praying on several occasions and using distinctly Christian vows- I was facing the hotel.  As I looked up at the building, I noticed that a number of people had come out on their balconies to witness the event.  That was very cool.  Then I noticed that just off to my right a large crowd was seated around outdoor tables and watching.  I realized quickly that this was one of the hotel bars.  When I pronounced Joshua & Katherine husband and wife and he kissed his bride, the gathered wedding congregation of about 80 began to applaud.  As the couple recessed down the aisle between the white beach chairs, the applause grew much louder- because the wedding was getting an ovation from the balconies and the bar. This was new and unexpected.  Our "audience" had just doubled.  Afterwards, several people who had not been "at" the wedding told me what a beautiful service it had been.  One lady (in a swim suit in November, so not a local) identified herself as a wedding crasher and told me her daughter was getting married soon.  She asked me how much I charged to do services- which made me laugh out loud!  Clearly this service, held "in the presence of God and before these family and friends," had made an impact beyond our small gathered group.


In fact, it seems to me that this wedding on a public beach had an impact far greater than it would have had in any church.  You  see, we were out there.  We we talking about Jesus, sacrifice, commitment, the church as the Bride of Christ and the holiness of matrimony in an unusual public place- and people were listening.  People who didn't stop by the bar in the expectation of encountering Jesus- but who may have encountered him anyway!  As I watched the crowd in the bar rise to their feet and give the new couple a standing ovation, I couldn't help but think to myself that THIS is what the Jesus Revolution should look like!  We should be on the streets, in the malls and on the beaches demonstrating the love of God.  We should be sharing Jesus with our world, not waiting for the world to come to church.  People are hurting.  People are searching for something that's real.  People want to know the love, peace and grace that comes only through knowing Jesus.  We-and by we I mean I- have to get out there and share that love.  And what about inviting them to church?  To paraphrase a famous quote, "If we love them they will come..."  The revolution is happening out there.  Let's join the party!


Because of Jesus,

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/15/2011

    The only limits to the Jesus Revolution are the ones we attempt to place on it, confining it to church and things the world considers religious. Great story with a better point. Thanks for sharing. ~Chris Cooper

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!