Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Past & Present

On November 22, 1963, a happy little 4 year old boy went to a "Wild West Day" taping of The Old Rebel Show in Greensboro, NC.  This classic of local TV children's programming was a big deal in those days, and I was dressed in my best cowboy outfit, ready to enter the quick draw contest that was the highlight of Wild West Day.  The show was taped in the morning and the broadcast in the afternoon, by which time I would be with all my friends at Mrs. Poe's daycare.  One by one the competition was eliminated and I was named the champion of the quick draw contest.  I was given a  badge and a few prizes, and I left the studio bursting with pride and joy at my accomplishment.  I couldn't wait for my friends to see me in action.  The appointed time arrived, and Mrs. Poe turned on the little black and white TV she had so we could all watch.  But The Old Rebel Show was not on.  Something strange was happening.  For some reason, the news was all that was on that day...


It seems that in far away place called Dallas, another man had been playing with guns that day and had done something awful.  Our president, John F. Kennedy, had been shot and killed- and coverage of that story was all that was on TV.  I was 4 years old.  I didn't understand what an assassination was, or who JFK was.  I just knew The Old Rebel was not on.  I cried and cried.  In fact, as the next few days unfolded and our country fell into a time of unbelievable grief and pain, the coverage of the event just went on and on.  And my moment of glory was never aired.  It seems so insignificant now, but to a 4 year old it was a really big deal.  48 years ago today a part of our nation's hope and future died in Dallas.  48 years ago today a part of my childhood died in NC.  After all,  you only get one shot at winning a quick draw contest on TV.  After all, you're only a kid once...


Or are we?  Even at my rapidly advancing age, there are still moment that make me feel like a 4 year old again.  Every time I walk down Main Street at The Magic Kingdom.  Every time I watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  Tomorrow, we all get a few days to honor the child that still lives in us all.  The Muppets arrives in theaters.  Do not miss this chance to remind yourself and your family of what simpler times and true joy feels like.  Do not miss this chance to let your inner child come out and play!  If you need any more incentive to get your family and friends out of the house and into the theaters this weekend. here it is...





We often talk about "the good old days" as if they were all peaches and cream and today is all dark and scary.  Sometimes it is the other way around.  Be thankful today for the blessings of your world.  Enjoy every moment.  Don't let your inner child become sad and bitter like a 4 year old whose big TV moment just passed him by.  It still hurts a little bit to think about, because I have to tell you- I looked GOOD in my cowboy costume.  Thursday I will watch the parade and feel the rush of childhood excitement.  This weekend I look forward to letting Kermit, Gonzo, Piggy and the gang help me get a piece of my childhood back.  However you choose to do it, I hope you will all do the same.  "...and have faith like a child."


Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!