Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Never Ending Story

My Surprise 30th Birthday Party
Since I began writing this blog in August of 2009 I have talked about praying for God to show me what is next in my life of service to Him- when in fact He was already placing  me smack dab in the middle of it!  I have spent the last 4 years telling myself I am no longer a youth pastor, when in fact that is simply not true.  It's just that the "youth" are all adults now...


I have received a number of emails and other messages over the past few weeks that have reminded me that my life as a youth pastor is a never ending story.  In my mind the picture of what my student ministry looked like is very much like the one you see here.  I was surrounded by youth who cared about me, needed me and looked to me for support and guidance.  And you know what?  I still am.  Instead of gathering in a youth room, we now gather in a digital community.  Instead of stopping by my office to discuss dating problems or complain about their parents, now they e-mail to tell me about their marriages and their children.  People who are now older than I was in that picture write to ask for advice and to make prayer requests.  And they say (some spoken, some unspoken) that I will always be their youth minister.  While I was waiting for a new ministry, God was bringing me an old one.  


As I have reconnected with many of my old friends for youth group days gone by, God has been adding to my ministry through my new friends on Twitter.  They encourage me and pray for me. They have helped me to remember that my primary spiritual gift has always been that of encouragement, a gift I try to share with them and my old friends on a regular basis.  Through this great community of faithful friends- both old and new- I am rediscovering the person Jesus calls me to be.  I cannot praise God loudly enough for these old connections and new beginnings.  It's time to heed the words of Paul in Philippians 3:13-14-  "But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  Or in the words of Bill Murray in the movie Meatballs- "FORWAAAAAAARD HOOOOOO!" I look forward to sharing the next chapter of this never ending story with all of you...


Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/19/2011

    We're all still here Carl! :) Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles, one of the best parts of the digital community is sharing it with old friends who live on the other side of the world. Thanks, buddy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!