|Future HOF member Justin Overstreet gives Travis a lift!|
- We were stopped at a gas station on our way to Myrtle Beach in 2002 when Travis revealed to me one of his goals in life. He wanted to "moon" someone in all 50 states. And a nun. He then informed me that while I was pumping gas he had crossed Georgia off the list...
- We shared a floor in a small room on our mission trip to Spartanburg, SC in 2003. Late one night we wrote a song together. I have no memory of what it was about or what any of the lyrics were, but I do know we called it Toxic Penguin. Travis and I shared a strange sense of humor.
- He called me one day to tell me he needed my help breaking up with his girlfriend, who was also a member of the youth group. They had already broken up once, and he was afraid she would leave the group if it happened again. While he was on his way over, she called and told me the exact same story. She was afraid he would quit. Bottom line was they both wanted to break-up. Easiest counselling session ever- and our friendship continued to grow.
- We had some of the deepest spiritual conversations I have ever had with a student- in part because Travis never felt obligated to agree with me. I always wanted our youth to find their own faith, not just parrot back what I believed. Travis struggled with his faith- and it was real.
- I cannot count the number of hours we spent together at Lee Garden's Chinese Restaurant, eating from the buffet and talking about life. Travis was somewhat of a tortured soul; a true artist at heart. He always felt he could come to me with anything, and I was so thankful for that. Even when things got bad for him at the church (because of a girl), our relationship stayed strong.
|Travis in action.|
Because of Jesus,