- Meagan Hill Halquist (FUMC-K) and hubby Rich gave birth to an 8 lb. 6 oz. baby boy they have named Cooper! Congrats to the parents and also to Godparents Kelly Jeck Trace (FUMC-K) and her hubby Keith. I have a feeling this is going to seriously limit Meagan's blog reading time... :)
- Marie Allen Pleasants (Springfield Friends Meeting) had a brief flashback on Facebook Thursday night, posting videos of One Tin Soldier and Lonely People and getting all nostalgic about the TNT (1987-94) days. I had to break out the guitar and play those (along with numerous other) old songs yesterday. Thanks for remembering, Marie!
- Continue to pray for Jennifer Minnigan Kuramochi (FUMC-K) and her pregnancy, as well as for 2 other former youth who may be pregnant but are not quite ready to make any announcements yet. Somethings never change, ya'll- I still know all the good secrets! :)
- Marilyn, Will and I will be headed to Winner's Grill here in Tampa this Sunday to watch the Super Bowl, since no one took me up on my invitation to come to town and eat Mexican Pile-Up. Maybe next year! This will be our third straight year at Winner's- good people and great food!
- I got a great e-mail from Jeremy Godwin (Springfield) this week about a trip he took to Chicago and a picture of some of his daughter's stuffed frogs and a Chicago Cubs stuffed ball that he bought her years ago. He took Sammy (the ball) so he could visit the homeland! The picture is at right; Stinky the Pootapotomous is noticeably absent. Always great to keep up with all of my former youth and their kids!
- Steelers 24, Packers 21. 'Nuff said!
- I am so excited about the youth pastors I have been meeting on Twitter. They are doing some amazing things, and I am honored to be offering a bit of advice and doing a lot of praying for them. Join me!
- Patsy Hill (Springfield), mother of Hall of Famer Ken Hill, is one of mine and Marilyn's favorite people in the whole world, and she had a birthday this past week. A funny story about Patsy- one time after one of the rare occasions when I filled the pulpit for our great pastor, Max Rees, Patsy told me she thought I did a good job. She followed that by saying church didn't feel like church to her unless Max was preaching. With anyone else she felt like she was "at a PTA meeting." Every time I spoke after that I remembered those words and worked that much harder to inspire Patsy. Happy late birthday, Patsy! We love you!
- Sad news- the demolition of Disney's Pleasure Island is in full swing. For survivors of our 1993 WDW trip from SFM, that means no more Comedy Warehouse. The Fireworks Factory was already long-gone.
- Dana Carvey is hosting SNL tonight. As far as I am concerned, he is the GOAT (Greatest of All Time) when it comes to SNL cast members. We had several of his character's posters on the youth room wall at Springfield. I know he most likely will not perform his classic characters, but I would love to see Garth, Hanz, Grumpy Old Man, Derek Stevens ("Chopping broccoli"), Lyle the Effeminate Heterosexual, President Bush (41) or of course, the Church Lady. I don't watch SNL much anymore, but I'll be watching tonight!
- Will Rees (Springfield) shared something on Facebook yesterday that his Grandmother Avis Rees used to say all the time during our years in High Point- "Everyone's crazy except for me and thee, and lately I'm starting to think thee are a little crazy too." The truth hurts...
|Marie and Leslie Michalak back in the day...|
Because of Jesus,