Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday Shout Outs!

It is time to once again to "shout out" to some of my old and new friends who have made the past couple of weeks interesting.  Since today is September 11th, it is only fitting that we pay tribute to those who each year re-live the pain of that tragedy.  Even as I write this, I am aware that Ben Thompson (FUMC-K) is in Afghanistan, and that Catie Cook (FUMC-K) is awaiting deployment. I am certain there are others friends I am unaware of, serving their country.   Their service is required because of 9-11-2001.  It is my fervent prayer that we Christians do not compound the tragedy through bigotry and hatred, like that being shown in Gainesville this week.  Ben wrote on his Facebook status this week: Geniuses burn a Koran in the US and a few hundred "demonstrators" (aka rioters) start creating havoc here in Afghanistan. Thanks for making our job more difficult!  I believe that Jesus taught us to be peacemakers, and that this kind of religious hatred is in direct conflict with His teachings.  Keep praying for peace and for sanity.  We need both.  Here are some other people who I have heard from lately:
  • Andi Brooks Gillespie (Springfield Friends) wrote to me asking for the words to Pharoah, Pharoah so she could teach the song to some children.  It's so great to know the classics will live on! 
  • Nina Mock (Wesley Memorial) let us know about the closing of Kado.  It's always great to hear from WMUMC, even though the news was sad.  And David White (UBD) from Waycross added his own memory of Kado.
  • Karen Hall and Jill Painter Watson (FUMC-K) were quick to start throwing others under the bus for the great Youth Counselor retreat shopping fiasco.  Apparently, Cathy Thacker was to blame...
  • Beth Edgerton Bell, from way back in the New Garden days, remembered how she and her best friends from youth group were "attached at the hip" in those days.  And Laura Wheeler (Quaker Lake) suddenly remembered how many times she saw me dressed as Santa Claus...
  • The good people of Compassion International requested that we add a link to them on this blog, and so we have.  They do amazing work.  We may not be able to change the world, but through them we can change the world for one person.  Check them out.
  • Caitlin Esry (FUMC-K) had good things to say almost every day on Twitter, especially during this past week of fictional youth events.  My favorite was yesterday:  Rec around the Clock was always my favorite part of youth week and it still is in your fictional one!  Thanks, Caitlin.  It was always my favorite too!
  • And speaking of the Esry clan, we learned that little sister Bethany is engaged!  Congrats- and you and your old friends (Izzy, Brattney, Julia and the gang) need to beware- your day on the blog is fast approaching! (Muuahhhhaaa- that's my evil laugh)
  • Mark Hall, a youth pastor and the lead singer of Casting Crowns, tweeted the following about the book burning controversy- but I believe it applies to Christians in so many ways:  Burning the Quran? Why? The world is quite aware of what we are AGAINST.  What they need to know is what we are FOR!
  • And speaking of Twitter, I got a direct message from Alyssa Milano this week.  It's not really a big deal, but I do have to say this:  "Who's the Boss" now, people!  Oh yeah, it's me!  LOL
  • Jill Souther O'Brien went home to FUMC-K a couple of weeks ago and sang at on Youth Sunday.   Reports are it was awesome!  No one said if she quoted Men In Tights or not...
  • Joanne Gastler (Wesley Memorial) got a chance to see The Great Adventure Video and remember lots of great times.  If you haven't seen it yet, it now has a link at the top of this page.
  • To everyone who played along with my fictional Youth Week this past week, a big thank you.  I loved hearing from everyone about their favorites.  Meagan, Cindy and Brook- you rock!  And maybe the Reeps will forgive me someday...
That's it for today- there will be more shout outs in the weeks to come.  Have a blessed weekend

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/11/2010

    Thank for the well wishes, Carl! As far as the evil laugh...now I'm worried. Lol. Can't wait to see what stories you have about me, Julia, Britt and Izzy!! I always enjoy reading your blog!

    Love,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bethany! Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I've caught up on the past week...it was fun! =) Have a great day! =)Would you mind sending me the words to Lahina? I was singing it the other day and forgot parts so I just had to mumble my way through them...I wouldn't mind Pharoh Pharoh either. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!