Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Moment With Mullins

Happy Birthday, Beth Vestal McGalliard!

Among the many blessings I have received from writing this blog has been a reconnection with the music and ministry of the late Rich Mullins.  For the uninitiated, Rich was a great song writer (Awesome God among many others) and Christ-follower.  I was blessed to spend a few days with Rich in 1990, and have felt the impact of his ministry in my life ever since.  Stories, references and songs featuring Rich have dotted the pages (see labels) of this history of my life and ministry, but Rich still has much more to say to my readers and myself.  I've decided to trade in my CCM Thursdays title and change over to A Moment With Mullins which will now be featured each Thursday.  Some weeks will feature music, some lyrics and others stories- but every week (for a while) will feature Rich.

I have struggled over the past few years to make some sense of who I am now that I am no longer a youth pastor.  I had begun to feel defined by the sin in my life, rather than by the love of God and the grace of Christ.  It was only when I began to understand that all of us who believe and surrender are defined by Jesus that I started to feel ready to face the world again.  It is what we believe and who we believe in that makes us who we are.  I could ramble on for hours and not say what I want to say as well as Rich did in his brilliant song CREED.  Based on the words of the Apostle's Creed, the song lays out the basic beliefs of a Christian.  Reciting or memorizing words does not make you a Christ-follower, but knowing what you believe can only help as you seek Jesus.   The song can be found on the A Liturgy, A Legacy and a Ragamuffin Band album.  You may also be familiar with Third Day's cover version.  Watch and listen to the powerful video below, and let the words (included on screen) speak to you as they do to me.  "I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am.  I did not make it, no it is making me.  It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man."  And that's all I have to say about that...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/24/2010

    Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!