Thursday, September 9, 2010

Port of Call: Africa

Blessings to everyone who commented yesterday- feel free to leave more today!  It's Day 5!  Thanks for hanging in there readers, only one more day left to survive in this weird, wild, wacky fictional Youth Week!  Yesterday and today could have easily happened; I would not expect anything that rational from tomorrow's Rec Around the Clock schedule!  If none of this makes any sense to you, I suggest going back and reading That Was The Week That Wasn't.  It may not help much, but it's a start:)

We travelled all night while you slept, and apart from having suffered the righteous indignation of Teresa Reep Tysinger for not mentioning her in yesterday's blog (I forgot she and Cyndi were born in Hawaii) it was a safe journey!  We have arrived early this morning at the mysterious continent of Africa.  Here is what your Thursday will look like:

Port of Call:  Africa
7 AM-  You have two excursions to choose from this morning. Both are exciting, and each lets you choose a part of "Africa" to explore.  You may only choose one:

A)  Tubing on the Ichetuknee River- (You can just pretend it's the Nile) Enjoy a 3-hour ride into the deepest wilds, where you will be given a tube and thrown into a freezing cold river for a slow ride through some of the prettiest country you will ever see!  You may spot exotic wildlife in its natural habitat.  You are almost certain to see many of the natives (we call them "rednecks") screaming, hollering and drinking beer.  After floating for a couple of hours you will be relaxed and amazed at how much Africa resembles northern Florida.  A picnic lunch featuring authentic hamburgers and hot dogs from Nambibia ( I have no idea what that means) will be served, and then you can take another crack at the river.  Did I mention the river is cold?  You will return to the church around 6 PM.  (SPF 25)  Or you can choose to...

B)  Busch Gardens, Tampa-  If the wonders of nature and cold water are not your thing, then perhaps we can interest you in a roller coaster and some wild animals!  Busch Gardens (with its African theme) features both, and you will have a day to check it all out.  Ride the Montu, Kumba and SheiKra.  Explore the animal exhibits and see the shows. Then ride those killer coasters one more time!  Lunch will be provided by Mel's Hot Dogs, a Tampa landmark located next door to the park.  You will also return around 6 PM.  There is not much spiritual value here (SPF 10) but I know some of you will be praying on those coasters...

6 PM-  Those of you who spent the day exploring will be joined by those who stayed on the ship and took naps for dinner with the Captain and his pet gorilla!  Moe's Southwest Grill will handle the catering (I know Mexico is not in Africa; but I don't care!  It's time for Moe's!), and you will learn about ways you can make a difference in the world through a presentation from Compassion International.  Plus the showers in the gym (YES!  Finally, we have a gym!  In Kissimmee we almost built one, but didn't.  In Hinsdale we almost built one, but didn't.  In Tampa, we built a perfectly good one that we couldn't use for two years- until after I was gone.  So dang straight my dream week has a gym!!!  Sorry- had to get that off my chest!) will be open for those of you who still smell like the river.  Because we are not done yet!

7 PM-  (In my best Michael Buffer impression) Let's get ready to worship!  Our Disney Video Moment comes from The Lion King.  The Drama Team will present the skit The Circle of Life, featuring the return of the world's worst Crocodile Hunter!  Then there will be awesome music and worship, featuring the great Tony Campolo delivering the message The Kingdom of God Is A Party!  And you'll have a chance to commit to serving God by serving others by sponsoring a child through Compassion International. (SPF 100).  It will be quite a night.

Sleep well, my darlings- for tomorrow we don't sleep at all!  It's time to Rec Around the Clock!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about the Ichetuknee River (being cold)! I was going to take my kiddos however given the new information may think otherwise. :) (I'm not a fan of cold AT ALL!) Florida Girl!

    With that said, I'll take the Bush Gardens excursion, ride the attractions until I vomit (which sadly won't take long now days...the ol' mare ain't what she used to be), and utilize the fantastic gym...for volleyball of course because I forgot to play beach v-ball yesterday in Hawaii! DOWT! Sheesh.

    I must say I am enjoying the cruise. I even have my wrist bands on (to avoid motion illness) just incase. Now I'm heading to the crow's nest for a little dancing then perhaps down to the lido deck for the midnight buffet. Catch ya tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brook, that is without question my favorite comment ever! I'll see you at the buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received an e-mail from Compassion International saying how much they enjoy the blog and asking me to add a link to my site- so I did. Click the link and check them out. Sponsoring a child through Compassion is an amazing way to serve Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/09/2010

    I would never be able to choose between BG and tubing. It is just too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9/10/2010

    Marilyn was right these were great comments to your post. I remember when FUMK youth group sponsored kids from Compassion Intl & you encouraged us to sponsor individually as well. Did your other your groups do this also?

    Still enjoying all the blogs!!

    Love & miss you

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Cindy we always did Compassion kids from the mid 80's forward. And thanks for your comments- they ALWAYS make me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3/01/2011

    hi, new to the site, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!