Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Port of Call: Hawaii

I hope some of you are enjoying this week as much as I am!  Welcome to Day 4 of my fictional ultimate Youth Week, based on a week I planned 3 different times and never got to do.  To catch up on what this is all about, go back and read That Was The Week That Wasn't.  This week is much like the movie "Inception."  If you can figure out where or when any of this is supposed to be happening, and which parts might be real and which parts are only a dream, then please-  TELL ME!  I am a bit confused... 

"Howareya, 5-O?"  It's Day 4 (Wednesday) of the the "best Youth Week ever" finds us heading to the beautiful Hawaiian islands for an amazing night of tropical fun and fellowship.  But first, we have some interesting activities to keep you busy while we are at sea.  Enjoy!

On-Board Activities
10 AM-  Meet at the church and you'll be given a team, a driver and a list of Random Acts of Kindness you can do in the name of Jesus!  The list will take you all over town, and you will document your team serving others with a digital camera.  See how many people you can make smile with simple acts of service in a two hour period.  (SPF 80)  Then gather back at the church...

12 noon- It's time for buffalo wings (courtesy of PG's) and Beach Volleyball (you didn't really think I would have a "dream church" and not have a beach volleyball court, did ya?)!  In addition to regular volleyball, there we will play some Ultimate Volleyball, with everyone on the court at one time as we seek to break our all-time record by keeping a beach ball in the air for over 150 hits.  (SPF 25)  At 1:30 PM it's time to go home and shower- but hurry back!

5 PMHula Dancer Practice.  If you would like to learn to Hula, and you are willing to perform in front of a crowd, then come to the Youth Room and learn from the best!  Matthew and Brook Teoli, Elizabeth Dykes, Kim Heiter and Ben Thacker will teach the ancient Hawaiian art of Hula (OK, full disclosure- I don't know if any of those people can actually Hula dance.  But they get the job because they are the best dancers I have ever known.  Except for Ben...).  The dancers will then perform as part of our Luau!  (No SPF for this, but the bravery factor is very high!)

Port of Call:  Hawaii
6 PM-  Join us in the Youth Room for another of our world famous Luau parties!  The evening will begin with dinner featuring pulled pork, Polynesian chicken, tons of fruit and a variety of other authentic (well- we try!) island dishes! Plus there will be all the Tiki Punch you can drink!  As you eat, you can see the pictures that groups took earlier in the day as they performed Random Acts of Kindness.  Dinner will be followed by a Hula contest, a performance by our nearly-professional Hula dancers (the ones you see on the right WILL NOT be asked to perform!), a Limbo competition and Body Surfing (Remember that one?  Someone stands on my back and tries to "surf" while I attempt to throw them off.  Watch out for the big waves...).  Our Disney Video Moment wil feature Lilo and Stitch.  The Drama Team will present the skit Ohana Means Family (featuring an appearance by Elvis!), which will lead us into worship with music (Chances we open with Lahina are 100%!) and our guest speaker, Hawaiian pastor Rick Bundschuh (father of Justin "Pepe" Bundschuh of Spooky Tuesday fame).  Rick will help us Save the Humans by reminding us that church people can be a difficult bunch to get along with sometimes, as he speaks on the topic Jesus, Please Save Me From "The Christians!"  We'll close with some more music and a time of commitment.  (SPF 100)  Be sure and bring everyone you know to this great night of fun and faith!  And Happy Hump Day, everyone!

Now that you have finished reading, this is the perfect time to click the word "Comment" below and tell me your thoughts on our cruise so far! :)

7 comments:

  1. Phew! This is turning into quite the week. Soooo much fun! Now can you tell me why I am sitting at my desk at work?! Boooo :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Meagan- would be much more fun to do than write about- but I guess we have to take what we can get! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turning out to be a great week! First thing I thought of while reading was... mmm. PG's wings, yum!... lol. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/08/2010

    I alsways loved the Luau parties we had. You always came up with the best games, and I remember seeing people body surf on your back and get soaked. And they never supected anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm slightly offended that in a post about the birthplace of your favorite twins you could not even give us a brief mention. Disappointing to say the least. (hee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words. :) Hula Dancer Practice...count me in! I'm not sure I know what I am doing but I'll sure improv like crazy. :) Loving the cruise and especially the food! Mmmm. You sure do know how to plan an event! Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My apologies to the Hawaiian born Reeps. Had I remembered they were indeed children of the islands, I would have included them on the Hula dancing team- or as waitresses at the Luau- or something. And thank you Brook. I know how to eat, that is for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!